And we're back!

Main Menu

8.8 earthquake hits Chile

Started by Syt, February 27, 2010, 04:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

QuoteMassive earthquake strikes Chile 

A massive earthquake with an initial magnitude of 8.8 has struck central Chile.

The quake struck at 0634 GMT about 91km (56 miles) north-east of the city of Concepcion and 317km south-west of the capital, Santiago.

Outgoing President Michelle Bachelet said that she had reports of six deaths so far and could not rule out that there might be more.

The US issued an initial tsunami warning for Chile, Peru and Ecuador.

That was later extended to Colombia, Antarctica, Panama and Costa Rica.

Japan's meteorological agency has warned of a potential tsunami across large areas of the Pacific.

President Bachelet called on people to remain calm and contact the authorities if they needed help.

Ms Bachelet, who has now gone into an emergency meeting, said that there were areas of the country where communications were down and teams were working to restore them.

Buildings in Santiago were reported to have shaken for between 10 and 30 seconds, with the loss of electricity and communications.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the earthquake struck at a depth of about 35km.

It said tsunami effects had been observed at Valparaiso, west of Santiago, with a wave height of 1.29m above normal sea level.

One journalist speaking to Chilean national television from the city of Temuco, 600km south of Santiago, said many people there had left their homes, determined to spend the rest of the night outside. Some people on the streets were in tears.

Mark Winstanley, who contacted the BBC from Vina del Mar, 100km north-west of Santiago, said buildings had shaken and electricity and phone connections were cut but he could see no structural damage yet.

A university professor in Santiago, Cristian Bonacic, said that this was a massive quake but that the cities seemed to have resisted well. Internet communications were working but not mobile phones.

Chile suffered the biggest earthquake of the 20th century when a 9.5 magnitude quake struck the city of Valdivia in 1960, killing 1,655 people.

Would Pinochet or Allende have been able to prevent this? What's the role of the CIA in this turn of events?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Ah crap, that's even stronger than Haiti :( Hopefully as it's not so poor a country they will have better infrastructure and less deaths.

Martinus

QuoteSome people on the streets were in tears.

What a retarded line in the report. Some people on the streets were in tears after walking out of a fucking "Titanic" movie. Stupid emotional journalism devoid of information content.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 04:20:30 AM
What a retarded line in the report. Some people on the streets were in tears after walking out of a fucking "Titanic" movie. Stupid emotional journalism devoid of information content.
It's called "colour", doughnut. By quoting what the Chilean journalist reported, it gives readers a mental picture of the situation on the ground and the impact to locals of losing their homes and livelihoods.

Or are you in the Berlusconi camp and think they should treat it as a camping holiday?

jimmy olsen

It doesn't seem to have been near any major population centers so hopefully there weren't many casualties.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

:huh:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Quote from: Jaron on February 27, 2010, 05:08:22 AM

:huh:

Just the facts, ma'am.

CountDeMoney

If they were crying because their local GLBT book store collapsed, you wouldn't have said shit.  So fuck off.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2010, 06:37:49 AM

If they were crying because their local GLBT book store collapsed, you wouldn't have said shit.  So fuck off.
Is it just my perception, or has Marti recently doubled the percentage of his posts in which he says incredibly stupid things?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2010, 06:37:49 AM

Is it just my perception, or has Marti recently doubled the percentage of his posts in which he says incredibly stupid things?

He's gotten stupider. He'll claim he is trolling however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 10:59:51 AMIs it just my perception, or has Marti recently doubled the percentage of his posts in which he says incredibly stupid things?
I was thinking the same thing just yesterday. He's getting more and more incoherent with age.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on February 27, 2010, 11:12:11 AM
He's getting more and more incoherent with age.

It's the cock in his mouth.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteScores confirmed dead.

Sorry, Chile.  We shot our wad with Haiti.  Might be some leftovers up there.