Libya's Gaddafi calls for Holy War against Switzerland

Started by Syt, February 25, 2010, 11:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:51:41 AM
Quote from: citizen k on February 26, 2010, 09:47:06 PM
I've been calling for jihad against Switzerland ever since Hamilcar said victims of tornados, "had it coming."

Well, he was right. People who choose to live in natural-disaster-prone areas,

That's going to really cut down on the amount of habitable land.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2010, 07:47:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:51:41 AM
Quote from: citizen k on February 26, 2010, 09:47:06 PM
I've been calling for jihad against Switzerland ever since Hamilcar said victims of tornados, "had it coming."

Well, he was right. People who choose to live in natural-disaster-prone areas,

That's going to really cut down on the amount of habitable land.
Yeah.  In the US, I think Hawaii does not suffer from tornadoes, but that it pretty much it.

Doesn't Poland have tornadoes?

What about Germans?  Are they "natural disasters?"  If so, did the Poles who died in WW2 "deserve it" for living in Poland, subject to German invasion?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Faggots who live in gay-unfriendly areas really shouldn't complain when they get Sheparded.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

C.C.R.

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 11:03:33 AM
What about Germans?  Are they "natural disasters?"  If so, did the Poles who died in WW2 "deserve it" for living in Poland, subject to German invasion?

I was going to go for a "people living between Russia & Germany" angle, but your post is close enough to where I wanted to go...

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 27, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 11:03:33 AM

I was going to go for a "people living between Russia & Germany" angle, but your post is close enough to where I wanted to go...
The argument against allowing people to build in, say, routine flood plains is strong enough, but "tornado prone" areas are simply too vast (and the chances of actually suffereing damage too small) to generalize from the specific.  I live in central Virginia and have suffered damage from tornadoes!  Did I "deserve it?"  I don't think so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:51:41 AMWell, he was right. People who choose to live in natural-disaster-prone areas, especially when they do not buy an insurance policy, do not deserve to be helped with money from the taxes of people who either do not take the risk or hedged that risk by buying a policy. That kind of system, where benefits of risk taking are consumed by a risk taker - e.g. in the form of cheaper property in hurricane-infested area - but costs of risk taking are being socialized and shared by all players (like aid to people who did not buy a policy and now are homeless) is both immoral and provides wrong incentives. It is no different than bailout of risk-taking banks by the tax payer - only people get more teary eyed about idiots who build their house in a hurricane country and then get it blown to pieces, than Wall Street fat cats.

Similarly you could reason that if one choses to live next to Germans or Russians it's pretty much your own fault when they invade you and kill your people.

... you know, because know one's said that in this thread yet  :lol:

citizen k

I wonder what percentage of the world's population lives on the Ring of Fire. I wonder how many are insured.

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2010, 08:50:43 PM
I wonder what percentage of the world's population lives on the Ring of Fire. I wonder how many are insured.
If you buy insurance, do you suddenly "not deserve it?"  What if you have determined that you will for sure buy insurance tomorrow, but the tornado hits today?  Do you deserve it then?  What if the tornado hits while you are on the way to the insurance broker to buy insurance?  What if you are in the office and about to sign the paper when the tornado rips it out of your hand?

Bring in Unfrozen Caveman Talmudic Scholar!

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Hannibal's point, which I agreed with, is that the risk of natural disasters should be privately born and not socialized.  He never said anyone "deserved" to be hit by a tornado.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2010, 08:57:50 PM
Hannibal's point, which I agreed with, is that the risk of natural disasters should be privately born and not socialized.  He never said anyone "deserved" to be hit by a tornado.
Maybe, but Hamilcar expressed a different view, as I recall it, and Marti is agreeing with the view as I (and others) recall it.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 09:24:18 PM
Maybe, but Hamilcar expressed a different view,
:face:
Quoteas I recall it, and Marti is agreeing with the view as I (and others) recall it.
What view do you recall that he expressed?

chipwich

Wow we're talking about a post made 4 years ago by a poster whose name we don't remember

Maybe Languish really is DYEING

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2010, 09:45:43 PM
What view do you recall that he expressed?
That people zapped by tornadoes deserved it for living where people could be zapped by tornadoes.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 08:55:31 PM
Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2010, 08:50:43 PM
If you buy insurance, do you suddenly "not deserve it?"  What if you have determined that you will for sure buy insurance tomorrow, but the tornado hits today?  Do you deserve it then?  What if the tornado hits while you are on the way to the insurance broker to buy insurance?  What if you are in the office and about to sign the paper when the tornado rips it out of your hand?

Bring in Unfrozen Caveman Talmudic Scholar!
:lol: Nice
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point