News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2 hard drives

Started by chipwich, February 23, 2010, 10:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

If the disc check reported nothing out of the ordinary and a full format/reinstall didn't work, then it's something more sinister.

I did an error fix, but didn't reformat yet since windows told me that formatting would erase all the data on the disk. Which goes against the point.

I get a BSOD when trying to reinstall windows with the old drive.

I can access the old drive as a slave

Vricklund

If it's readable when booting from the new drive, then why not copy the files you want to the new drive?

Format, follow grumblers instructions and copy the files back. :)

chipwich

The point of booting from the old drive is to use the Windows Xp thats installed on it.

Vricklund

Ah! So you're not doing a fresh install of XP but rather a recovery/repair of an old install when it BSODs? No XP cd?

I don't think I'm qualified to give you any advice on that, I've only ever done fresh installs. I understand there are some reasons you are unwilling to wipe the disk but I would still ask you to reconsider.

chipwich

Quote from: Vricklund on March 01, 2010, 02:12:04 AM
Ah! So you're not doing a fresh install of XP but rather a recovery/repair of an old install when it BSODs? No XP cd?

I don't think I'm qualified to give you any advice on that, I've only ever done fresh installs. I understand there are some reasons you are unwilling to wipe the disk but I would still ask you to reconsider.

I have the cd but it bsods when I boot wiht the cd

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on March 01, 2010, 01:48:18 AM
The point of booting from the old drive is to use the Windows Xp thats installed on it.
I don't think you will be able to do that, unless the MB, processor, and peripherals on your new computer are identical to the ones on the computer where you first installed XP.  Each XP installation is configured for the rig it is installed on.

It might be possible to "repair" the XP install to match the new rig, but I have never heard of this being possible, and I would predict it to be unstable and buggy even if it could be done.

The BSOD when you boot with the XP disk is your real problem.  I frankly have no idea how that could happen (if you can play other CDs without a problem).  Read failure due to disk damage, yes, but BSOD must mean that your computer cannot read the CD player when it is set to be the boot device.  Which of these http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-Blue-Screen-Death-STOP-Codes-t43519.html codes do you get?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on March 01, 2010, 07:18:07 AM
Quote from: chipwich on March 01, 2010, 01:48:18 AM

I don't think you will be able to do that, unless the MB, processor, and peripherals on your new computer are identical to the ones on the computer where you first installed XP.  Each XP installation is configured for the rig it is installed on.

It might be possible to "repair" the XP install to match the new rig, but I have never heard of this being possible, and I would predict it to be unstable and buggy even if it could be done.

I've tried this, and the only "repair" that ultimately worked for me was to blow away the existing XP installation and start again.