News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Win 7's XP Mode

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 09, 2010, 12:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Awesome. It's a free virtual machine to run XP inside your Win7 box.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alatriste

This I have to try. I have used Windows 7 only for a month and I'm already fed up with the number of old games that have problems with the new OS.

DontSayBanana

Quick note, just in case: only Professional and Ultimate users can use XP Mode.
Experience bij!

viper37

And I was told it doesn't work with games...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on February 10, 2010, 10:24:19 AM
And I was told it doesn't work with games...

What XP games aren't working with 7?  XP compatibility mode seems to work well enough, and DosBox fills the gap left by no DOS emulation left in the kernel; the only thing we seem to be losing out on is 16-bit support, and that had even been dropped by XP...
Experience bij!

Josquius

How much less powerful does your computer count as being?
I mean...if you're running it emulated a lot of effort will go into doing that  right?
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2010, 12:52:25 PM
I mean...if you're running it emulated a lot of effort will go into doing that  right?

Depends at what level the emulation's being done, and how much of the total operations delegated to the native system.  If you can get something passed through to the operating system as opcode, that runs faster than having to mimic it with additional code in the emulator.  Considering the similarities in functionality between Windows XP and Windows 7, I would imagine a lot can be passed through in opcode, so not that much of a performance hit.

When you think of video game console emulators, usually the problem that bogs things down is that they use both custom graphics and audio processors.  Remember the problem of using "software" renderers on PC games?  Video game emulators have got problems with that for nearly every subsystem.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2010, 12:52:25 PM

Supposedly the processor required to do "XP mode" has some virtualization function built-in that minimizes the amount of system resources that are leeched. 

I will probably play around with this on my next system build (to which I'll move my Win7 Ultimate license).  Has anyone tried this yet?  Do you need to cough up an XP license to use it, or is that part covered by your Win7 license?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Don't need an extra license. It's a freebie.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 10, 2010, 10:27:49 AM
What XP games aren't working with 7? 
Any game not working with Vista.
Kotor I&II from the original CD won't work, IIRC, without some modification.
And I think the other one is SW Empire, for wich there is nothing to do to make it work.
Dawn of War doesn't work either, unless your re-buy it.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on February 26, 2010, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 10, 2010, 10:27:49 AM
What XP games aren't working with 7? 
Any game not working with Vista.
Kotor I&II from the original CD won't work, IIRC, without some modification.
And I think the other one is SW Empire, for wich there is nothing to do to make it work.
Dawn of War doesn't work either, unless your re-buy it.

Ah.  True.

KOTOR/TSL don't work without mod; I had to get them up and running here.  The obnoxious part is that the fix is only about 250kB; Bioware could easily have patched it if they had felt the inclination.  Not familiar with the other two games you mentioned.
Experience bij!