Senator Lieberman INtroduces Bill to Repeal DADT

Started by Faeelin, February 22, 2010, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't think you're being fair to McCain.  When he was making that promise, he had no way to know that the top brass would actually recommend repealing the DADT.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2010, 06:27:12 PM
I don't think you're being fair to McCain.  When he was making that promise, he had no way to know that the top brass would actually recommend repealing the DADT.

No offense, but have the 'top brass' really recommended it?  I know a couple of individual commanders have, but has the President received that advice from, say, the Joint Chiefs, or anyone who can speak for the entirety of the military?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 06:28:42 PM

No offense, but have the 'top brass' really recommended it?  I know a couple of individual commanders have, but has the President received that advice from, say, the Joint Chiefs, or anyone who can speak for the entirety of the military?

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs did, and a number of current or former top brass (e.g. Powell) did as well. Mullen said so before the Senate commission, to which McCain's immediate response was (I paraphrase): "Well, this is America and laws here are not made by the whims of the military".

DGuller

Would Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff qualify?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2010, 06:32:49 PM

Would Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff qualify?

Yes it would (as long as he's speaking in that capacity).

Look - I'm not trying to score any points here, or lay out a trap.  It's an honest question.

Martinus

Well, he said it was his personal opinion. The point is however McCain's rather disgusting and bare-faced flip-flop on this, from "Well I would be willing to consider this if military was for it" to "No way even if the entire military supports it." At least his daughter and wife are decent, but the senile old fool is a piece of shit.

Fate

In the future we'll see the correlation between the repeal of DADT and America's downfall.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 06:39:16 PM
Well, he said it was his personal opinion. The point is however McCain's rather disgusting and bare-faced flip-flop on this, from "Well I would be willing to consider this if military was for it" to "No way even if the entire military supports it." At least his daughter and wife are decent, but the senile old fool is a piece of shit.

So every time Obama (or any politician, for that matter) flip-flops on a position you call them a "piece of shit"?

The follow up to my question then would be has the SoD (or anyone else) ever formally asked the military for their opinion on DADT?

alfred russel

McCain is fighting for his political life right now in a Republican primary. That doesn't really excuse him, but what do you expect?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 06:42:06 PM

So every time Obama (or any politician, for that matter) flip-flops on a position you call them a "piece of shit"?

The follow up to my question then would be has the SoD (or anyone else) ever formally asked the military for their opinion on DADT?

If he flip flops on an issue which is so blatantly prejudiced, then yes.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2010, 06:43:45 PM

McCain is fighting for his political life right now in a Republican primary. That doesn't really excuse him, but what do you expect?

I don't know. Many people here (myself included) had a certain high degree of respect for him, because he was not afraid to go against the partisan politics and was perceived as a decent man among douchebags.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2010, 06:43:45 PM

I don't know. Many people here (myself included) had a certain high degree of respect for him, because he was not afraid to go against the partisan politics and was perceived as a decent man among douchebags.

I still think of him that way - in comparison to his political peers.

Still the man is a politician, not an angel.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 06:46:37 PM

In 2000. A lot has happened since then. I'd be stunned if he put his future on the line over DADT.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2010, 06:18:58 PM
Btw, it's funny how that shithead McCain flip-flopped on the issue - a couple of years ago he was saying that if the military top brass come to him and say that this policy needs to be repealed, he will consider repealing it. Now, that they are doing that, the bastard is saying this is a political issue and the military can't dictate the congress what the law should be. What a piece of shit. I used to have a higher regard for him.
Horrible, horrible man.

I caught a snip of Keith Olberman going on in the same vein, but I have yet to see an unvarnished source report what he actually said.

Neil

I'd be willing to accept repeal so long as the gays are all drafted and then either used to clear minefields or gassed.  That's my opening position, but I'd be willing to go as far as only having flamboyant homos and Martinus killed, and treating those gays who attempt to integrate and hide their sickness as if they were productive citizens.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.