News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dozens held in Turkish 'coup plot'

Started by Savonarola, February 22, 2010, 11:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2010, 04:18:59 PM
To get back to the original derail, my people "discovered" half the world. so what. Who you are now is way more important then what you were.

Is that a great achievement? I think the "discovered" people were probably happier as they were.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2010, 08:37:34 PM
To get back to the original derail, my people "discovered" half the world. so what. Who you are now is way more important then what you were.

Is that a great achievement? I think the "discovered" people were probably happier as they were.
If they hadn't been discovered their descendants would be living in the Brass age (IIRC they'd have alot more access to zinc then tin).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2010, 08:58:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2010, 08:37:34 PM

If they hadn't been discovered their descendants would be living in the Brass age (IIRC they'd have alot more access to zinc then tin).

Also more would be alive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

And Tim, you aren't white. By "their descendants" you really should be saying "We'd still be living in the brass age"

Savage.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Quote from: Jaron on February 23, 2010, 10:49:11 PM
And Tim, you aren't white. By "their descendants" you really should be saying "We'd still be living in the brass age"

Savage.

Jaron, defender of Aragon and Castille.  :showoff:

Neil

Savage.
Neither are you.  The both of you are Mexicans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on February 23, 2010, 03:51:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2010, 03:49:05 PM
The only good thing Turks ever did was killing off Armenians. However they did not do a sufficiently good work of it, because they did not slaughter Queequeg's ancestors.
:huh:

I didn't think he was actually Armenian, just has a hard on for them.
It's all just a symptom of the root problem:  His disdain for Western culture and civilization.  Familiarity breeds contempt, and so Spellus flits from culture to culture, whatever he feels is exotic.  One week, he's learning Russian, the next Persian, and now he's in love with Turkey.  Next month, I'll be hearing a lecture about the glories of Tadjiki culture.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 23, 2010, 05:19:36 PM
Heh............I'm really looking forward to the Istanbul visit now; Tamas and Spellus are off to a great start  :cool:

@Queequeg.  One thing to watch out for is that Istanbul is not Turkey. I apologise for being so tautological; however......for decades now I have been assured by tourists and travellers that the divide lies somewhere in the middle of Anatolia. Istanbul and other western Turkish cities are little different to places like Athens, less alien perhaps than a place like Sofia or Bucharest. But, I am assured, rural places in Eastern Turkey can be some of the most unpleasant places on the planet  :huh:

Istanbul less allien than the Paris of the Balkans?  :lmfao:
Typical pro-Turkish PC nonsense. Bucharest is the capital of a romance-speaking nation and that's a huge difference. I know about the record number of gypsies but guess what, there are gypsies in France and Paris as well (less though).

I know that you are British so bad at languages but you should know better.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 24, 2010, 03:06:43 AM
... the Paris of the Balkans?  :lmfao:

What does it take to become the "Paris of the Balkans" ?   :hmm:

garbon

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2010, 12:07:15 AM

Savage.
Neither are you.  The both of you are Mexicans.

I didnt claim to be.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

garbon