Obama seeks to rid the world of nuclear weapons

Started by jimmy olsen, April 05, 2009, 08:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Killed Kenny

What if the SU joined NATO? What you think could happen?

Sheilbh

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 06, 2009, 12:39:24 PM
And did the French really said that if WP advanced into France they would deploy there one's nukes? Or was this a "suspicion?"
The French never said they wouldn't use nukes first.  I believe they did at some level brief that if one Soviet troop crossed the Rhine then the French would launch everything they had.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 06, 2009, 12:59:40 PM
What if the SU joined NATO? What you think could happen?
The same thing that happened in the regular world.  The only difference would be that NATO would be either an adjunct of the UN or defunct, and the alliance of civilized countries would have a different name.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 06, 2009, 02:27:11 PM
What if Israel joined the Arab League?

What if the Giant Ants of Brest-Litovsk joined the EU.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Never gonna happen. The EU is a vertebrates-only club.

Admiral Yi

I predict this conference goes badly for the US.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 06, 2009, 02:41:28 PM
Never gonna happen. The EU is a vertebrates-only club.

Lots of spinelessness for a vertbrates only club.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2009, 02:43:38 PM
I predict this conference goes badly for the US.
Which conference?  What's your definition of good?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 04:19:01 PM
Which conference?  What's your definition of good?
The conference Obama has suggested to discuss nuclear disarmament.  My definition of good is something that advances our interests.

I think it will go poorly because either it will start the ball rolling on true disarmament, which is a mixed blessing for the US, or it will cede the moral high ground to the proliferators.

Sheilbh

I think the outlines for the Russian-US deal is already there.  As I say the Russians think it can be and want it to be signed when Obama goes to Moscow on a state deal.  In the UK the press have already started describing the outline of a treaty.  I have a suspicion it's a bit like Israel-Palestine; everyone roughly knows what the deal will look like already.

What's your impression of what the US interests are in this conference?  Do you have any idea of sort of 'red lines' he shouldn't cross (to use the phrase we have every EU summit)?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 04:32:22 PM
I think the outlines for the Russian-US deal is already there.  As I say the Russians think it can be and want it to be signed when Obama goes to Moscow on a state deal.  In the UK the press have already started describing the outline of a treaty.  I have a suspicion it's a bit like Israel-Palestine; everyone roughly knows what the deal will look like already.

What's your impression of what the US interests are in this conference?  Do you have any idea of sort of 'red lines' he shouldn't cross (to use the phrase we have every EU summit)?
I'm not referring to the US/Russia deal.  I'm in favor of that.  What's not to like?

I think the red line has already been crossed by proposing the conference.  By doing so the issue gets altered from a geopolitical one of what do we do about countries aquiring nukes that we think might be used against us to the moral one of if the US has the "right" to posess nukes why don't Iran and NK have that right.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 04:32:22 PM

A nuclear weapons deal?  Or an overall deal?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.