Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2010, 07:18:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 18, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
Panzer Civilization sounds cool.

The Norway map is gonna be super hard.

meh... you probably buy just tanks for most of your money. You need pioneers supported by scouting and bombardment units. Lots of rugged defences on the lillehammer map in towns defending over a bridge supported by artillery. You need to take out the artillery while the pioneers are moving forward.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Fate on February 18, 2010, 04:48:56 PM
I like that they're returning more to a Civ3/SMAC look rather than the cartoonish style of Civ4.

Though looking the original screenshots on the IGN site(which are much more zoomed-in), the unit "avatars" seem to be very much the same unit graphic style from Civ4, just shrunk down and replicated into several individuals. 

Still, an improvement. 

Tonitrus

And actually, while I like the idea of hexes in terms of gameplay, the biggest annoying thing about them, is that it will make moving units with the arrow keys/number pad on the keyboard nearly impossible.  :D

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
- Less "cheating" AI.

Bullshit. Cheating AI is a cornerstone of the Civ series.

Anyway, I've been playing Civ2 recently. I forgot just how much fun it is, and how much Civ3 sucks.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on February 18, 2010, 07:17:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 04:22:35 PM

That is at the core of what Civ as a game is.  It's like complaining about American football because players can use their hands to touch the ball and there are too many breaks in play.

Terrible analogy.  The development of a civilization shouldn't be equated with the progress of a game set with arbitrary rules.

G.

How ever the the development of a game can be equated with the progress of a game set with arbitrary rules.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Kleves on February 18, 2010, 09:11:08 PM
The map is awesome. :mmm:

I see you avatar on my way to work every day at the moment. Belvedere (built by him) currently has an exhibition "General-Philosopher and Art Lover"
http://www.belvedere.at/jart/prj3/belvedere/main.jart?rel=en&content-id=1173991384446&reserve-mode=active
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 18, 2010, 09:40:22 PM
And actually, while I like the idea of hexes in terms of gameplay, the biggest annoying thing about them, is that it will make moving units with the arrow keys/number pad on the keyboard nearly impossible.  :D

There's been hex based games which used only the left three and right three buttons of the numpad. Seemed to work fine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

By coincidence, I recently got back int Civ IV BtS, and got a reminder of how annoying the culture system is.  Because of culture, you can't do any minor conquests, because the captured city will have most of its squares fall to the enemy.  You either have to do wholesale conquests, or a lot of genociding. 

I hope that retarded system is done away with in the next game.  Ideally, I would like to see permanent province boundaries form when you found a city, so that you don't have to wait half a game for the vital squares to come back in a tug of culture war.

Tamas

I can understand the exclusion of religion as being out of scope, but then why include stuff like city states?

the terrain map is nice I guess the but the unit and resource graphics suck ass, lets hope its just some alpha stuff.

Martinus

LOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2010, 02:44:43 AM
LOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.

:yes:

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
- Less "cheating" AI.

Bullshit. Cheating AI is a cornerstone of the Civ series.

Anyway, I've been playing Civ2 recently. I forgot just how much fun it is, and how much Civ3 sucks.

Welcome to 1990s!

Grey Fox

Even the fake Civ 2 was better then Civ3.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.