And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rise of the British Religious Right

Started by Sheilbh, February 16, 2010, 01:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Razgovory on February 16, 2010, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: Pat on February 16, 2010, 07:26:05 AM
The solution is more rationality - not less.

I can only speak for Sweden, but here anything remotely associated with nationalism has been the Big Taboo ever since the generation of 68; the first generation to grow up without a memory of the time before the forties. They had the pendulum swing to the other extreme. We must return to a place where it's OK to be sensibly nationalistic, at least to a point where it's OK to be sensibly self-preserving. Too little nationalism is probably not a problem in other European countries, but in Sweden I daresay it is. The first step is battling post-modernism, total relativity and other religion-like maladies of the mind.
For this evolutionary psychology can be a useful tool, as I mentioned in another thread. Perhaps it is still possible to have people open their eyes.

It is worth noting that the response has not been a resurgence of religion (though perhaps this is the case in Britain, I don't know). The europe-wide response has been a resurgence of new righ-wing parties, some of them quite nasty. I am, however, considering voting for the Sweden democrats, a party which is really no different from what the Social democrats used to be like.

Rationality led to these "maladies of the mind".  Clearly doing more of what is hurting you is the best way to get better.

According to you, rationality leads to bad outcome = let's never be rational again. According to me, see what went wrong, apply more rationality, fix bad outcome.