News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Patrick Kennedy won't seek reelection!!!!!

Started by jimmy olsen, February 11, 2010, 11:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Glory glory hallelujah! :w00t: :cheers:  :showoff:   :thumbsup:

This makes me so very very happy.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32877.html
QuotePatrick Kennedy won't seek reelection

By JOHN BRESNAHAN & JONATHAN MARTIN | 2/11/10 11:29 PM EST

Rhode Island Democratic Rep. Patrick Kennedy, the son of the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, will announce on Friday that he is retiring, according to Democratic insiders.

Kennedy, 42, was first elected to the House in 1994. His departure will leave Congress without a Kennedy for the first time since 1962, when his father was elected to the Senate seat held previously by his uncle, John F. Kennedy.

In a two-minute video retirement announcement, Kennedy invokes the memory of his father as he explains his decision to leave the House.

"My father instilled in me a deep commitment to public service," Kennedy says. "Now, having spent two decades in politics, my life is taking a new direction, and I will not be a candidate for reelection this year. Going forward, I will continue many of the fights we've waged together, particular on behalf of those suffering from depression, addiction, autism and post-traumatic stress disorder."

Kennedy's congressional tenure was marked by repeated substance abuse problems, including a drunk-driving incident in 2006. He entered a rehab facility at that time and again in 2009.

In the video message, Kennedy thanks his constituents for supporting him through his darkest times.

"When I made missteps or suffered setbacks, you responded not with contempt but with compassion," he says.

A source close to Kennedy said his decision to leave office was not driven by personal problems, but the source acknowledged that the death of Kennedy's father last year was a factor.

"It's not because of his father's death, but you can't deny that it's had an impact on him." said the source, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

This source added that Kennedy has been thinking about retiring "for about a year," but did not make a final decision until recently.

"[Kennedy] has been in elected office since he was 21," the source noted, pointing to Kennedy's election to the Rhode Island legislature. "He talked to family members and friends, and current and former colleagues, about what he should do."

This source also said Kennedy "wouldn't rule out" a run for office in the future, including the Senate, but said he has no plans to do so now.

When Republican Scott Brown won Ted Kennedy's old seat last month, the younger Kennedy told reporters that it was a sign that voters were out for "blood." He complained that his party was not doing a better job of selling its health care overhaul to the American people, and he called the Democrats "the most undisciplined party there is out there."

Although Kennedy never faced a serious threat in his overwhelmingly Democratic district, he was looking ahead to what may have been his toughest race yet this fall. Republicans are poised to nominate John Loughlin, an Army veteran and member of the Rhode Island legislature who raised more than $246,000 last year, putting him on pace to out-raise Kennedy's recent challengers.

Colorful former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci, a convicted felon who was released from federal prison in 2007 after serving four-and-a-half years on corruption charges, also said last month that he was open to the possibility of a House run.

And Kennedy's approval numbers were sagging. According to a poll taken by a Providence TV station earlier this month, the incumbent was viewed unfavorably by 56 percent of voters in his district and his re-elect —those voters who said they would definitely vote to return him to office — was only at 35 percent.

Still, Kennedy brought in $765,000 in 2009 and began this year with about $450,000, putting him in a strong financial position to mount a re-election bid.

Given the nature of the district — it's the more liberal of the Ocean State's two — Kennedy's decision will surely set off a fierce competition for the Democratic nomination. The 1st District includes blue-collar Pawtucket and much of Providence, the state's capital and largest city.

Potential Democratic candidates include two-term Providence Mayor David Cicilline, a former state representative who has made a national name for himself following Cianci's tenure; Lt. Gov Elizabeth Roberts, a former state senator and the state's first female lieutenant governor; and long-time state Democratic Chairman Bill Lynch.

Jake Sherman contributed to this report.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2010, 12:00:35 AM
You are such a fucking tool.
The man was a disgrace, a drug addict and one of the stupidest men who's ever held a seat in the United States Congress. Rhode Island should be ashamed that they elected this fool once, let alone seven times.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Finally, Rhode Island's statewide nightmare is over!!   :thumbsup:  His approval ratings had nose dived badly; no surprise in this political climate. But still, I never understood his political appeal. He always seemed such a light weight pol. I guess due to the mindlessly Democrat voting by RI he kept getting in, zombie voters just pulling the Kennedy Democrat button.  ;)

MadImmortalMan

So, are there any Kennedys left in office now? There has to be some more. Besides Arnold, I mean.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I thought the really, really stupid one was the blond guy.

Richard Hakluyt

Who precisely is Patrick Kennedy?

Do you mean the 4th Earl of Massachussetts?

Hansmeister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2010, 09:48:36 PM
So, are there any Kennedys left in office now? There has to be some more. Besides Arnold, I mean.
Nope, he was the last.  Our long national nightmare is finally over.  :rolleyes:

KRonn

There are many Kennedys in some kind of public service or organization, though I don't think any in elected office. Joe Kennedy in Massachusetts decided not to run for his Uncle Ted's spot. Joe is the son of Robert Kennedy. He runs a public energy company, bringing lower cost heating oil to lower income people.

Hansmeister

Quote from: KRonn on February 12, 2010, 11:01:35 PM
There are many Kennedys in some kind of public service or organization, though I don't think any in elected office. Joe Kennedy in Massachusetts decided not to run for his Uncle Ted's spot. Joe is the some of Robert Kennedy. He runs a public energy company, bringing lower cost heating oil to lower income people.
That's a nice way of putting it.  He's a shill for Hugo Chavez.

The only Kennedy worth a damn was JFK (well, and Joe kennedy Sr. who died in WWII).

Fate

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 14, 2010, 08:20:49 AM
Quote from: KRonn on February 12, 2010, 11:01:35 PM
There are many Kennedys in some kind of public service or organization, though I don't think any in elected office. Joe Kennedy in Massachusetts decided not to run for his Uncle Ted's spot. Joe is the some of Robert Kennedy. He runs a public energy company, bringing lower cost heating oil to lower income people.
That's a nice way of putting it.  He's a shill for Hugo Chavez.

The only Kennedy worth a damn was JFK (well, and Joe kennedy Sr. who died in WWII).

JFK was a communist and sexual devaint. He was worthless.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2010, 10:04:57 PM
I thought the really, really stupid one was the blond guy.
You may be thinking of Joe Kennedy. I think he had some embarrassing issues over a divorce, or other issues, some years ago. I honestly don't know how well he'd do in Mass. elections these days, but he'd probably be at least a contender.