News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Artists, Periods and Painting?

Started by Queequeg, February 15, 2010, 01:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Indirectly inspired by Martinus' latest gay thread, what are your favorite artists, and your specific favorite painting?

My favorites are Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt, El Greco, Lissitzky, Malevich, Bosch, Kandinsky, Duchamp, Picasso, Botticelli, Max Ernst, de Chirico, Boccioni, Goya, Blake and Konstantin Yuon.  I enjoy Ilya Repin and Courbet, but I tend to stay clear of visual arts in the Victorian period.

If forced, my top three are probably Schiele, Greco and El Lissitzky.  Please don't murder me on the last one. 

As you can probably guess, my primary areas of interest are all 1400-1620 or 1905-1925.  No slavish adherence to realism, and somehow even artists like Klimt, who built on three thousand years of Western art, manage to make everything feel fresh.  I like the early Romantics for the same reason.  Also a fan of Byzantine and Russian traditional art, Persian miniature as well as traditional Japanese wood painting.  Used to be a big fan of The New Objectivity, but went to an exhibit at the Met a few years ago while stoned and felt really, really sick for a week, as the paintings are just too goddamn disturbing to actually like.  I've yet to find a lot of art from after 1950 that I like, although I love Execution by Yue Minjun.

My favorite painting is

Nude descending a staircase by Duchamp.  Honorable mentions go to Greco's The Assumption of the Virgin (which I have had the pleasure of seeing many times in Chicago), Anything with Two Chicks Doing It by Egon Schiele, and The Birth of Venus by Botticelli.  Mostly because he manages to fit in more visual metaphors for sex in to a canvas than a group of 12 year old boys could even imagine. 

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

I heavily favor the Baroque-era artists as my favorite, specifically Anthony van Dyck for his extensive portrait work of various monarchs of the period (and before).

One of the best, though I'm undecided if it's my favorite by him, is the famed triple portrait of Charles I :

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Some I like:

Anders Zorn :wub:
Nicholas Roerich
Salvador Dali
Rembrandt
John Bauer
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

I'm not that big on paintings, but Impresionism is my favourite period by far.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 03:54:26 PM
I like the work of the Group of Seven. :Canuck:

Yeah, those paintings were pretty good at AGO.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2010, 03:58:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 03:54:26 PM
I like the work of the Group of Seven. :Canuck:

Yeah, those paintings were pretty good at AGO.

:yes:

I dunno - maybe it's just 'art for people who don't know art' but those were some of my favourites.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

The dude that does caricatures at the fair.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son