News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Campus Violence: Attack of the Faculty

Started by CountDeMoney, February 13, 2010, 01:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Glenn Beck claims she's a supporter of Obama.  Draw your own conclusions. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2010, 03:57:36 PM
So are you saying that she's an ardent left winger? If so, could this be a left wing wacko gone wild?  :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on February 17, 2010, 04:26:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2010, 03:57:36 PM
So are you saying that she's an ardent left winger? If so, could this be a left wing wacko gone wild?  :unsure:

We don't have all the facts but she hasn't proven she's not a left winger. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

I'm going to apply Fateonian logic and call her a GOPtard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 17, 2010, 05:48:21 PM
I'm going to apply Fateonian logic and call her a GOPtard.

Good call.  After all, she's obviously pro-gun.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2010, 09:37:16 AM
My suspicion is that, for many academics, the academic world is basically the whole world; and it is very small, nasty and competitive in one's specific sub-field. Failing to get tenure or praise is the equivalent of being killed off, and those who are prone already to violence may react violently.

You have absolutely no idea how bad it is.

They're sabotaging each other, stalking each other, harrassing each other, spoofing each other's emails, trashing each other's laptops, killing each other's lab animals...and those aren't even the foreign nationals, who are even batshit crazier.

Of course, as Corporate Security, we have to look the other way.  If it's a darkie in Environmental Services or some chick in Billing, they're fired, arrested, and even sued...but visiting faculty or a post-doc?  Well, then it's dealt with "administratively".

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2010, 07:08:13 PM
They're sabotaging each other, stalking each other, harrassing each other, spoofing each other's emails, trashing each other's laptops, killing each other's lab animals...and those aren't even the foreign nationals, who are even batshit crazier.
Sounds like a bunch of bourgeoisie wrecker kulaks who need to be purged to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

My suspicion is that, for many academics, the academic world is basically the whole world; and it is very small, nasty and competitive in one's specific sub-field. Failing to get tenure or praise is the equivalent of being killed off, and those who are prone already to violence may react violently.

Of course, as Corporate Security, we have to look the other way.  If it's a darkie in Environmental Services or some chick in Billing, they're fired, arrested, and even sued...but visiting faculty or a post-doc?  Well, then it's dealt with "administratively".
That is scary, and from the "academic" class!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on February 18, 2010, 09:17:59 AM

That is scary, and from the "academic" class!

Welcome to academia.  That's why I'm getting the fuck outta Dodge, while the getting's good.

KRonn

The local Boston papers have been running articles on this story all week, questioning the whole series of events from years ago, to more recent events by Amy Bishop prior to the killings.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1233894

Bay State con job
Suspect latest from Massachusetts accused of slaughter in other states

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1233896&srvc=news&position=2

Parents' silence deepens mystery

http://bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view/20100219the_buck_stops_where_in_amy_bishop_case_not_with_former_da_bill_delahunt/

The buck stops where in Amy Bishop case?

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 19, 2010, 12:47:06 PM
The local Boston papers have been running articles on this story all week, questioning the whole series of events from years ago, to more recent events by Amy Bishop prior to the killings.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1233894

Bay State con job
Suspect latest from Massachusetts accused of slaughter in other states

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1233896&srvc=news&position=2

Parents' silence deepens mystery

http://bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view/20100219the_buck_stops_where_in_amy_bishop_case_not_with_former_da_bill_delahunt/

The buck stops where in Amy Bishop case?

Are those from real newspapers, or are some of these kiddie versions?  I mean, a paper that allows even an op-ed to start "If Bill Delahunt had done his job, three Alabama families wouldn't be in mourning today. Period" is so very yellow as to be non-credible.  That whole piece sounds exactly like the commie-bating articles of the 1950s.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

The Herald is basically a tabloid.  It tries to present an opposing viewpoint to the Globe and appeal to a more lowbrow audience.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2010, 01:41:40 PM
The Herald is basically a tabloid.  It tries to present an opposing viewpoint to the Globe and appeal to a more lowbrow audience.
The Globe is also doing stories, as is local tv news. The Herald isn't some two bit paper.

Some of those links are opinions, like I said, but even those ask some good questions on things. There have been news stories all week, asking questions, discussing things.

KRonn

Some Globe news stories.

Second link contains multiple stories of the issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/02/19/claim_that_bishop_was_cleared_in_bomb_probe_refuted/

No letter cleared Bishop, official says

http://www.boston.com/news/specials/02_15_Amy_Bishop/

The Amy Bishop case

Jaron

Why do her politics matter? McVeigh was a Republican and clearly had right wing views about government but no one has set him up to be the poster boy of the GOP.
Winner of THE grumbler point.