News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europe loses seat at top table

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2010, 10:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 10, 2010, 08:49:19 AMI think a bigger problem is, as mentioned, not being sure how to represent yourselves: on this side of the pond, it's getting murky on whether to think of European nations as individuals or to think of the EU as a super-state.
Why is that a big problem?  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on February 10, 2010, 08:58:39 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 10, 2010, 08:49:19 AMI think a bigger problem is, as mentioned, not being sure how to represent yourselves: on this side of the pond, it's getting murky on whether to think of European nations as individuals or to think of the EU as a super-state.
Why is that a big problem?  :huh:
That's exactly my question.  The purpose of government is to serve the interests of the people.  In what way is this not happening in Europe today?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2010, 09:08:02 AMThat's exactly my question.  The purpose of government is to serve the interests of the people.  In what way is this not happening in Europe today?

They don't say which "people".  I vote it's us.

Gambrinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2010, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on February 10, 2010, 07:22:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2010, 06:19:37 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 10, 2010, 05:23:10 AM
As long as it keeps the stability in Europe and remains an active force in the eastward democratization of Europe, I am happy with its role in the world.

That's the important part.  You fuckers can never get along with one another.  Please see: last several centuries.
Ah, yes. I must say American history bores me to death with its endless series of kumbayas, one after another...

Nigga, puhleeze.  There's a substantial drop-off there.  Our lists of casualties at the hands of various Eurotypes is evidence enough.  Stop dragging us into your stupid wars.
Pah, the USA consists of those who chickened out fighting real enemies and instead went overseas to slaughter brown pipple and steal their land. The only occasions where you fought white men on your own soil was when you fought for your right to keep black pipple as slaves.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I guess next time they wont need our help, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Have we gotten rid of the "unanimous decision" bullshit yet? Otherwise we'll never get anything moving in the EU. And if the small countries whine and whinge - WORK TOGETHER TO VOTE THE BIG ONES DOWN! Sheesh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2010, 11:49:12 AM
Have we gotten rid of the "unanimous decision" bullshit yet? Otherwise we'll never get anything moving in the EU. And if the small countries whine and whinge - WORK TOGETHER TO VOTE THE BIG ONES DOWN! Sheesh.

Uhm yes. Ever heard of the Lisbon Treaty? :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2010, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2010, 11:49:12 AM

Uhm yes. Ever heard of the Lisbon Treaty? :P

I don't follow political news much any more due to disillusion with the current political establishment. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Alatriste on February 10, 2010, 03:27:32 AM
@Richard

Frustrating? I don't think so... If Europeans are united in a question, then all their voices say the same. If they aren't, their divisions are useful and can be exploited. A single, truly unified European diplomacy would be at least equally frustrating for them, only in a different way.

Let's be clear about Copenhague: if Obama chose to strike a deal with China (and India) the reason was that China's ideas were far closer to his own position. The result of that summit was no different from other, previous debates on climate change: rightly or wrongly, the fact is America isn't willing to cut emissions as radically as Europe. To suggest that things would have been different if Europe had spoken trough _one_ man (say, Tony Blair) is quaint at best.

Second, we face the old, old, old British contradictions regarding any kind of European Union: you can't say that Europe doesn't work because it has too many leaders, too many voices, and flatly refuse to cooperate in any move towards a single authority. And it's quite funny to see Missirolo quoted like that... would 'The Guardian' prefer the United Kingdom to abandon the international sphere and the European Union to occupy a single seat in the Security Council, G-8 and G-20? I quite doubt it...

In the case of Copenhagen, Europeans were never going to be especially relevant, only because they were the most willing to modify emissions. The most major emitters that were less willing to sign onto an agreement were the critical factors, and those happened to be the US and China.

European powers are still very relevant, depending on the issue. The stands of France and Germany on Iraq caused a great deal of consternation in the US, while the support of the UK was critical.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Alatriste on February 10, 2010, 03:27:32 AM
Let's be clear about Copenhague: if Obama chose to strike a deal with China (and India) the reason was that China's ideas were far closer to his own position. The result of that summit was no different from other, previous debates on climate change: rightly or wrongly, the fact is America isn't willing to cut emissions as radically as Europe. To suggest that things would have been different if Europe had spoken trough _one_ man (say, Tony Blair) is quaint at best.

Obama didn't 'choose' to strike a deal with China/India.

He had to.  Everyone had to.  Given the size of the Indian and CHinese economies (and growth rates), plus combined with their already sizeable emissions, any deal at Copenhagen HAD to include China and India.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gambrinus

garbon

Quote from: Gambrinus on February 10, 2010, 10:54:15 AM
Pah, the USA consists of those who chickened out fighting real enemies and instead went overseas to slaughter brown pipple and steal their land. The only occasions where you fought white men on your own soil was when you fought for your right to keep black pipple as slaves.

Many of our people are brown people.

Anyway, I presume Seedy was talking about all the men we had to send to Europe to protect Europe from itself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2010, 03:33:33 PM

Anyway, I presume Seedy was talking about all the men we had to send to Europe to protect Europe from itself.
Folks, be nice. When we fight amongst ourselves, the terrorists win!!   :ph34r:

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2010, 03:33:33 PM

I think you are over-analyzing.  Gambrinus is just pulling a Seedy on Seedy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!