Evolutionary advantage of homosexuality: Super Uncles

Started by Martinus, February 09, 2010, 07:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on February 09, 2010, 08:32:20 AM

:hmm:

I dunno, man. I wouldn't go rushing to teh gay uncle theory, but it seems to play a role in a sufficiently large number of mammalian and primate species that I wouldn't be surprised if it had some role.
Homosexual behavior is seen in more tetrapod species than not.  There is no way in all cases it is just some kind of aberration.  That is literally impossible.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2010, 08:36:02 AM
Like when we had two male dogs: they were always busy biting holes into our fence to get to the neighboring females for some good old time. Then one of them became so old and was small to begin with, that he could not score anymore, so at one time I saw him trying to climb on the other  male. Funniest part was that I (seemed to) saw the utter shock on this other dog's eye.
Bullshit anecdote.  Some male dogs just like other male dogs, while some female dogs just like other female dogs.  There is a lot of study on sexual orientation in ungulates, I actually know a Michigan pre-med student who works on creating bulldyke sheep through hormonal treatments. 
For Example.
This is a good video on it, actually.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 08:37:41 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on February 09, 2010, 08:32:20 AM

:hmm:

I dunno, man. I wouldn't go rushing to teh gay uncle theory, but it seems to play a role in a sufficiently large number of mammalian and primate species that I wouldn't be surprised if it had some role.
Homosexual behavior is seen in more tetrapod species than not.  There is no way in all cases it is just some kind of aberration.  That is literally impossible.

Why?  You see all sorts of disorders that span numerous species.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on February 09, 2010, 08:13:36 AM
What I mean is that a lot of genetic deficiencies that wold have prevented people from reproducing back in the day are not life threatening anymore, so individuals with them can still live up to reproductive age and breed. Mankind is, in some aspects, special regarding evolution, as it has been able to bypass natural selection in many ways.

They managed to survive thousands of years before modern medicine though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2010, 08:45:46 AM

Not something as frequent or as seemingly important as homosexuality, though. 

The idea that it is a disorder is really kind of nuts though.  The DSM IV kicked it out, and I don't think it is possible that something as big as being attracted to another gender is not somehow positive for the gene-pool; it is so drastic a change that there must be some reason for it.   

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2010, 08:45:46 AM

Not something as frequent or as seemingly important as homosexuality, though. 

The idea that it is a disorder is really kind of nuts though.  The DSM IV kicked it out, and I don't think it is possible that something as big as being attracted to another gender is not somehow positive for the gene-pool; it is so drastic a change that there must be some reason for it.   

DSM IV kicked it out for political reasons not for medical.  Other paraphilic disorders are still there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2010, 08:49:36 AM
What I mean is that a lot of genetic deficiencies that wold have prevented people from reproducing back in the day are not life threatening anymore, so individuals with them can still live up to reproductive age and breed. Mankind is, in some aspects, special regarding evolution, as it has been able to bypass natural selection in many ways.

What do you mean?

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on February 09, 2010, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2010, 08:49:36 AM

What do you mean?

*popcorn*
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on February 09, 2010, 09:01:07 AM
What do you mean?

Genetic disorders have been around longer than history has, so you can't attribute their survival to modern medicine. I think Zanza is right; survival of a particular trait doesn't necessarily mean it offers an evolutionary advantage.

As to the subject at hand, I don't know if it does offer such an advantage or not. I just don't agree with Martinus' a priori assumption that it must.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

I don't think it's a bit surprising that gay men would in general be more attentive and supportive of their nieces and nepthews than straight men--after all, they usually don't have children of their own to take care of.  But I suspect that the same would hold true for others who don't have children of their own.  Heck, look my wife and me--we don't have kids of our own yet, and we spend a lot of time helping out with her sister's kids, but I'm sure we won't as much once we have our own.

The Brain

Doesn't this entire idea hinge on gay men not being allowed to adopt back in the stone age? I'd like to see some evidence for that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Why is there an assumption that it's a genetic condition?  There's not a great deal of evidence for this.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2010, 09:00:27 AM
DSM IV kicked it out for political reasons not for medical.  Other paraphilic disorders are still there.

Psychological, not medical.  Really, sexual assault is sexual assault no matter how you slice it; for it to remain classified a paraphilic disorder, it needs to interfere with an individual's ability to normally function in society.  Once society's adapted to largely tolerate a given behavior, that behavior's ceased to be a disorder within the mores of that society.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 08:37:41 AM

Bisexual maybe, I don't know about homosexual.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2010, 09:00:27 AM

I really don't think it makes sense.  Homosexual encounters account for a staggeringly high percentage of all sex in some species, even ones with far greater gender sexual dimorphism.  Giraffes have way more gay sex than straight sex.  You really think that is all just some sort of accident?