Top Canadian military official charged with murder

Started by citizen k, February 09, 2010, 12:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2010, 12:12:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2010, 12:09:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2010, 08:49:27 PM
I know it's Canada, but does a colonel really count as one of Canada's top military officials?  :huh:

Do you think that if a person of similar rank in the US did this it would not be big news?
Our colonels are all cold-blooded killers. This is a tradition that dates back to Curtis LeMay.

Yeah, but they are only supposed to gun down villagers who may or may not be the enemy.  Not townspeople outside their home country base.

Malthus

In Canada, this is without a doubt a very major story indeed (no puns based on military rank allowed!)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

I know it's Canada, but does a colonel really count as one of Canada's top military officials?  :huh:

Do you think that if a person of similar rank in the US did this it would not be big news?

Probably, but more because Americans have a macabre fascination with public guardians abusing their positions.  Without a sample, hard to say how desensitized we've become over the subject.

See: JAG, NCIS
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 12:17:46 PM
(no puns based on military rank allowed!)
Generally speaking, I agree.  Your is an admiral stance.  Such rank jokes should be captain reserve for the Queen (since we know no one has the power to commander to tell them) .
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Of course it would be huge news, it just wouldn't be correct to call him a top military official.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2010, 12:12:38 PM

Our colonels are all cold-blooded killers. This is a tradition that dates back to Curtis LeMay.

Woo then my Grandpa is safe as he was Colonel before that :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2010, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 12:17:46 PM
(no puns based on military rank allowed!)
Generally speaking, I agree.  Your is an admiral stance.  Such rank jokes should be captain reserve for the Queen (since we know no one has the power to commander to tell them) .

That post is deserving of corporal punishment.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2010, 05:12:52 PM

Of course it would be huge news, it just wouldn't be correct to call him a top military official.

Once again, he's a top military official not because of his rank, but because of the job that he held - base commander.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 05:30:28 PMThat post is deserving of corporal punishment.

I'm rating this post low.  Could you please sort out your disagreement in private?  Though, for the record, I don't think puns warrant official punishment..

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Apparently, there is a court ordered publication ban in effect on details mentioned in his court appearance for charging.

alfred russel

Yes--think over the important colonels: Colonel Qadaffi, Colonel Sanders, and of course Colonel Clink.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Colonel Mustard.

Suspicion grows that Fredo is an AQ mole.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 05:53:10 PM
Apparently, there is a court ordered publication ban in effect on details mentioned in his court appearance for charging.

It's routine for a publication ban to be issued for evidence presented at a bail hearing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.