News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:20:18 PM
Saw the women's Snowboarding.  They was hot.  At least some of them.
Danish Curlers. :contract:  Now with skirts!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Yeah, I saw them.  They were cute.  Still don't understand the game though. 

Also so the US-Swiss game.  If you looked closely you could see them accidentally drop some of that Nazi gold.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PRC

Hiller played great and the Swiss have definitely arrived.  They're a hockey power now and will be for a decade at least.  The Slovaks and the Czechs aren't producing players like they were in the nineties... the Swiss have taken their spot in the Sun.

Syt

The German curling women lost 6-5 against the Canucks. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Great Russia vs. Slovak game tonight!

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:26:41 PM

Feel free to ask me any questions.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Thanks to Beeb, I now understood the rules of the game.  However, I have no feel for what is a good throw, and what is a bad one (unless it's down to a couple of shots of the end, where the objective is pretty clear).

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PRC on February 19, 2010, 01:24:20 AM
Great Russia vs. Slovak game tonight!

:yes:  Nice goal to tie it just now.

PRC

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 01:52:27 AM
Thanks to Beeb, I now understood the rules of the game.  However, I have no feel for what is a good throw, and what is a bad one (unless it's down to a couple of shots of the end, where the objective is pretty clear).

Just pour yourself a rye n' coke, light a cigarette, and you're agiee.

PRC

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PRC on February 19, 2010, 02:36:40 AM
Awesome finish... great game!

Man that last shot to win was just beautiful.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 01:52:27 AM

Well that's the fun of the sport - there's quite a bit of strategy to curling.  It's even been compared to chess - you have to think several moves ahead.  Not just what your shot will do, but what will happen in the next several shots.

I had fun tonight.  I curl on Thursday nights, but afterwards we all went to the lounge and watched the end of the Canada-France game. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2010, 01:42:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:26:41 PM

Feel free to ask me any questions.  :)

Beeb, I noticed that the matches (is that the correct term in curling?) on the 16th all had real close score--basically a bunch of 1-point wins (the matches from the 17 not so much so).  Are very close matches the norm, or are the sides just that closely matched.  At an Olympic level, I would tend to think there'd be a number of blowouts--we see that in most other team sports, where some of the nations frankly seem to get in just to have enough teams to conduct a tournament.

Agelastus

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2010, 08:06:49 AM
Beeb, I noticed that the matches (is that the correct term in curling?) on the 16th all had real close score--basically a bunch of 1-point wins (the matches from the 17 not so much so).  Are very close matches the norm, or are the sides just that closely matched.  At an Olympic level, I would tend to think there'd be a number of blowouts--we see that in most other team sports, where some of the nations frankly seem to get in just to have enough teams to conduct a tournament.

Well, I may not be Beeb, but I believe most of the Olympic sports introduced some fairly strict qualifying standards to avoid any "Eddy the Eagle" repeats.

Also, curling has struck me as being very similar to bowls in many respects, a sport where very tight scores are also common.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."