News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2010, 09:15:01 PM
Is Canada going to do itself proud in the category of placard girls and flower girls?

Nobody knows, I think.  We'll find out soon.

Delirium

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2010, 05:08:05 PMThe Winter Olympics do not get half the attention in the rest of the world that the Summer Olympics or the World Cup get.

True, but there are exceptions. Over here (Sweden that is), the Winter games get about exactly the same attention as the other two. Given the fact that we are invariably better in winter sports that's not very surprising and I would guess that the ratio is about the same in comparable countries, such as the rest of Scandinavia, Russia, Canada and the Czechs/Slovaks.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2010, 02:32:07 PM

Boing. Naughty SI.

A good example of why I've always had a fondness for women's alpine skiing.

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2010, 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 09, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

I didn't even realize the winter Olympics were on until about a few days ago

I don't think they are on yet. I could be wrong, but I think it's next week.

Unless you mean the more general..."Oh, this is Winter Olympics year ."
Yes, I meant when the Olympics come around. I've seen curling in the Olympics before, and it's a pretty interesting Olympic event, being a sport that I don't see much of at all.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2010, 11:30:37 AM
A couple 12 years back they interviewed some American dude about life in the Olympic Village, he said "you don't know what competition really is until you've tried to get a seat at the Italian womens' ski team cafeteria table."

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2010, 11:51:51 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2010, 11:30:37 AM
A couple 12 years back they interviewed some American dude about life in the Olympic Village, he said "you don't know what competition really is until you've tried to get a seat at the Italian womens' ski team cafeteria table."

From what I hear, the Olympic Villages in both the winter and summer olympics are one gigantious Roman Orgy.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2010, 09:15:01 PM
Is Canada going to do itself proud in the category of placard girls and flower girls?

If the girls used to model the outfits for the media a couple days ago are an indication of what is to come, I dont think you will have any complaints.

crazy canuck

In other news we got a call from a friend who had a couple extra tickets to the opening ceremony.  Mrs. CC and our youngest will be taking in the event.

BuddhaRhubarb

The parade will be going past my shop on Friday, I think before we open, though. Locals will all still be sleeping sp I bet less protesters than you might imagine in East Van.

I heard somewhere that 12% of Vancouverites have fled the city for the games. But that's hearsay.
:p

crazy canuck

The torch will be going by my house at about 6 pm tonight.  We and many of our neighbours have done our houses up with Canadian flags, red and white lights etc.   Some languish wag mentioned that I forget to add the colour blue in our colour scheme. :D

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Jacob

Yeah, the torch is going by my office as well.  Right at lunch time too.  I guess I better bring lunch from home that day... tomorrow?

Josephus

Have they said who the final torch bearer is going to be?
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2010, 01:16:21 PM
The torch will be going by my house at about 6 pm tonight.  We and many of our neighbours have done our houses up with Canadian flags, red and white lights etc.   Some languish wag mentioned that I forget to add the colour blue in our colour scheme. :D
Jump it.
██████
██████
██████