News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyers on Chat Boards ...

Started by Malthus, February 05, 2010, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 05, 2010, 07:44:14 PM
Libraries, too.  A while back I needed to print something off the net, but my printer was messed up.  Not having the time at the moment to try and figure out what the printer's problem was and then fix it, and not wanting to buy a new printer if it was something easily fixable like needing to download a driver or something, I decided to go to the local public library and download and print the documents there.  All their computers were already in use (I got there about 10 minutes after they opened), and there was also already like a 3-hour waiting list.
The tragedy of the commons.

DontSayBanana

There's still no such thing as anonymity; libraries still keep logs of who was using what computer, when.

As far as routers disguising computer identities, they do... to a point.  Routers still have to keep track of what computer to make sure the correct equipment receives the correct service.  Also, there's a couple different methods of using routers.  The usual method in home networks is to have one permitted MAC address assigned by the ISP and use the router to "spoof" the hardware IDs so that the ISP only sees one computer accessing (stressing, though, that the router can be set to log all access from the network).  In larger networking schemes, it's more acceptable practice to use NAT technology, where the router behaves like a mini-ISP and does the full task of handling hardware IDs and distributing IP addresses.  I believe those bigger NAT routers log by default, since they're meant for more varied access and owners need to be better covered in the event of network misuse.  Wags or Moldy would have more of a working knowledge of this, where I've learned it, but don't use it so often, so it's possible I'm not up to speed anymore on router behavior.
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 05, 2010, 08:49:45 PM
There's still no such thing as anonymity; libraries still keep logs of who was using what computer, when.

The staff here didn't even ask for my ID, and I'm pretty sure that they don't know me on sight.

Jaron

They could have you on camera though and that could be used to ID you later on. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

I avoid sites like that.  I feel safe here where the worst it gets is that I abuse Marti, who for all I know is actually a 300 lbs trucker wishing he was a polish lawyer who wishes he was gay.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 12:35:03 PM
Actually I tried to make the point a few years ago that a lot of the stuff we say on this board could theoretically be actionable.   And there is a slow but steady stream of stories of people getting into very real trouble over things posted on blogs, facebook, etc.  So I do try to keep that in mind whenever I posted things even on Languish.

If I'm ever in a position where anything I post here will come back to haunt me (eg., Senate confirmation hearing for a cabinet post) I will use my political connections to hunt down and annihilate the Languish server.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josephus

When I'm in a poisition of power, the Internet will be banned anyways, and dissidents (ie. most of you here) will be in a gulag in the Yukon, near BB's house.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2010, 10:04:11 AM
When I'm in a poisition of power, the Internet will be banned anyways, and dissidents (ie. most of you here) will be in a gulag in the Yukon, near BB's house.

Your turn to the dark side pleases me.

What would you do with Tim?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 12:35:03 PM
Actually I tried to make the point a few years ago that a lot of the stuff we say on this board could theoretically be actionable.   And there is a slow but steady stream of stories of people getting into very real trouble over things posted on blogs, facebook, etc.  So I do try to keep that in mind whenever I posted things even on Languish.

So if Siege does get injured, will Marty be a suspect?

crazy canuck

It is best if you keep me near my ski hills.  If you take that away from me I dedicate my life to the revolution.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2010, 11:36:24 AM

It is best if you keep me near my ski hills.  If you take that away from me I dedicate my life to the revolution.

There are ski hills near my house. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.