I have ordered a new desk top!

Started by Strix, February 04, 2010, 09:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 23, 2010, 04:20:23 PM
Also, as far as size, I think you guys with the ATX hard-ons need to take a step back and mess with ISA slots in 386es and then tell me about cramped.  It's all what you're used to.
Given the fact that the DIY market is dominated by ATX builds, this comment strikes me as a little strange.  I dunno if the prebuilt market is dominated by ATX builds anymore.

Unless things have changed, my understanding is that most premium motherboards don't have a non-ATX option.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 24, 2010, 01:22:06 PM
I don't understand the uATX fanboyism.  I have worked on hundreds of computers, and have never seen a uATX rig that was easier to work on than an ATX equivelent.  The fact that the worse ATX rig is worse than the best uATX rig says nothing whatever about averages.  I think common sense should tell everyone that having more space for airflow will make the average ATX system cooler than the equivalent uATX system in the same case, so I don't think fanboyism is going to change anyone's mind, but it puzzles me.

I think there are situations where ATX is preferable & others where micro-ATX is preferable.  I have to say I'm kind of leaning towards micro-ATX for my next build.  I don't make use of the 'extra' slots on my current system, and a micro-ATX machine would fit much better in my office.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2010, 04:47:27 PM
I think there are situations where ATX is preferable & others where micro-ATX is preferable.  I have to say I'm kind of leaning towards micro-ATX for my next build.  I don't make use of the 'extra' slots on my current system, and a micro-ATX machine would fit much better in my office.
That's a valid reason to go micro - because you want a case that won't fit a full ATX.

Getting a uATX when one could have a full ATX in the same case seems daft to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 24, 2010, 08:30:34 PM
Getting a uATX when one could have a full ATX in the same case seems daft to me.

Okay, definitely agree with that.  Unless you're re-using a component and/or find too good deal on something, I see no reason for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

OK; I'm not advocating DIY uATX, except in cases where you have really tiny space to work with, like my midget of an apartment.

Also, Grumbler, once again, airflow is not the same across the board; it varies from case manufacturer to case manufacturer- if you shell out on a top-shelf CM case, then yes, you'll get good airflow, but I've seen substantial heat damage from crappily-designed no-name ATX cases that didn't take airflow into account for any other than a handful of mobos.

I also agree completely that putting uATX in a full ATX case would be ridiculous; space is not an issue then, and cost savings are likely to be negated by the custom mobo risers you'd have to install.
Experience bij!