Taffy was a Welshman: Racist nursery Rhymes

Started by Malthus, February 02, 2010, 11:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on February 03, 2010, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2010, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2010, 02:41:34 PM
My dad's parents used the term "colored" but as far as I could tell didn't mean anything negative by it.  My mom's mom was the enlightened counterbalance to my mom's dad, who seemed to delight in using the n-word, though I wonder sometimes if he did that just to push her buttons.  I always watched him closely when he interacted with a black store employee, waiter, etc. and never saw him treat them with any less respect than he would show a white person.

I thought the term "coloured" was now rather quaint and old-fashioned, but it was never considered derogatory.  I assume that's why the NAACP used the word at least.

Up until the late 60s at least, "black" was considered a derogatory or at least impolite term, though not as bad as the n-word;  "colored" was the polite, non-derogatory term to use to refer to Americans of African descent.
I thought Negro was the pc term of the day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 06:52:52 PM
Quote from: dps on February 03, 2010, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2010, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 02, 2010, 02:41:34 PM
My dad's parents used the term "colored" but as far as I could tell didn't mean anything negative by it.  My mom's mom was the enlightened counterbalance to my mom's dad, who seemed to delight in using the n-word, though I wonder sometimes if he did that just to push her buttons.  I always watched him closely when he interacted with a black store employee, waiter, etc. and never saw him treat them with any less respect than he would show a white person.

I thought the term "coloured" was now rather quaint and old-fashioned, but it was never considered derogatory.  I assume that's why the NAACP used the word at least.

Up until the late 60s at least, "black" was considered a derogatory or at least impolite term, though not as bad as the n-word;  "colored" was the polite, non-derogatory term to use to refer to Americans of African descent.
I thought Negro was the pc term of the day.

I think it was more the academic term, more-or-less like "African American" or "Afro-American".