News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: chipwich on August 08, 2011, 03:23:32 PM
What is the benefit of doing things at higher difficulty?

Better rewards, both in drops and XP.

But I stick with basic difficulty.  I'm not 133t-enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 08, 2011, 02:04:20 PM
I just played a foundry mission, To Helna and Back. Not great, but an hour's worth of mission; I'd give it 3.75 stars out of 5 - well crafted but not overly original. It allowed me to sample the new ground combat, though - MASSIVE improvement. Fights are now finished MUCH faster instead of moving at a glacial pace of chipping away fractions of hitpoints. Actually feels like action now.

Not sure I like the FPS mode, but in any event you can keep the traditional MMO mode as well.

Yes - great improvement.

The revamp to the Borg is a bit confusing though, as it isn't explained in-game AT ALL.

I played in "normal" mode, i.e. tabbing from target to target.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 12:11:53 PM
Quote from: chipwich on August 08, 2011, 02:17:17 AM
Ketermuls. It's still one big server right?

Yup.  I'll add you to my friends list.

I haven't played the last couple weeks, but that's as good a reason as any to hop on tonight.

Doesn't seem to work.  Is that your account name (as opposed to your character name)?  In STO you can befriend an entire person - not just an individual character.

chipwich

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 10:55:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 12:11:53 PM
Quote from: chipwich on August 08, 2011, 02:17:17 AM
Ketermuls. It's still one big server right?

Yup.  I'll add you to my friends list.

I haven't played the last couple weeks, but that's as good a reason as any to hop on tonight.

Doesn't seem to work.  Is that your account name (as opposed to your character name)?  In STO you can befriend an entire person - not just an individual character.

Ketermuls is my account name. Ixchel@ketermuls

chipwich

Barrister

DontSayBanana

:lol: This kind of quality stuff is why I miss playing.
Experience bij!

Syt

Seems they switched off the Foundry because it doesn't play well wiht the latest update (seems they switched off the Foundry during the test of the update).

Which sucks, because in the past months the Foundry was the only source for new, original content.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

New owners have announced what many have long suspected - STO will go "free to play".

No specific details released so far.

I dunno - as a LTS who still plays the game (albeit sporadically) unless they just screw me over on the LTS I suppose it doesn't make any difference, and might even improve things.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 11:33:42 AM
New owners have announced what many have long suspected - STO will go "free to play".

I dunno - as a LTS who still plays the game (albeit sporadically) unless they just screw me over on the LTS I suppose it doesn't make any difference, and might even improve things.

This worries me.  F2P's are usually good time-wasters that you can just sink a couple minutes into here and there (World of Tanks: amazingly successful as a F2P, for example).  I suppose this could help inject some life into PvP, but there's very little one can do in the campaigns without sinking at least an hour (one reason I didn't find it so hard to stop playing).
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2011, 11:39:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 11:33:42 AM

This worries me.  F2P's are usually good time-wasters that you can just sink a couple minutes into here and there (World of Tanks: amazingly successful as a F2P, for example).  I suppose this could help inject some life into PvP, but there's very little one can do in the campaigns without sinking at least an hour (one reason I didn't find it so hard to stop playing).

First - that's not quite true with STO.  As long as you complete a stage of a mission, if you then quit and come back the next day you have the option of coming back right where you left off.  The only problem is missions where you have a very long ground map - you have to complete that entire map or else risk losing the time spent on it.

Also LOTRO isn't a 'couple of minutes time waster' and has supposedly done well F2P.

But no details announced (other than 'you can play all the way to max level without paying a cent'), so no risk worrying too much.

But in news that was unrelated until now, I did put $5 down on a SWTOR pre-order.  :homestar:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Champions Online seems to do pretty well as F2P. Their lifetimers also get 400 free points every month for the store.

But I've also pre-ordered the SW:TOR collector's edition, because I'm a sucker.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on September 01, 2011, 12:07:33 PM
Champions Online seems to do pretty well as F2P. Their lifetimers also get 400 free points every month for the store.

But I've also pre-ordered the SW:TOR collector's edition, because I'm a sucker.

I am getting slightly (but only slightly) smarter, as I did not get the CE.

Honestly from reading about SWTOR I think it'll be fun to play solo for awhile, but I can't imagine it holding my interest for months and years.

chipwich

I think most MMO makers are realizing that the monthly pay model is on it's way out except for blockbuster MMOs. And even then Guild Wars 2 will be box-to-play. An the fact that STO had a cash shop already irritated me.