Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seen

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alcibiades

Fuck you katmai, as soon as you logged on I got booted and I was over an hour into my mission.  :ultra:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Alcibiades

Yeah, server's not even down.  As soon as you came on it booted me for you, ass clown.   :mad:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 06, 2010, 05:26:52 PM
Yeah, server's not even down.  As soon as you came on it booted me for you, ass clown.   :mad:

? :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Alcibiades

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

lol. it won't let me on. says theres a que of two. then loads halfway and boots me again
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

CO's Log, LtC Tilly. Stardate 201002.0610

Dear Diary,

this disruptor pistol I pried from a dead Klingon's hand is proving to be rather entertaining. Aiming it at a confused enemy and seeing him disappear in a wisp of vapor is magnificent.

Unfortunately, Lt. Tanak has proven to be quite a spoilsport. I foolishly permitted him to requisition smoke grenades when I promoted him to Lieutenant. The result has been that in most of the fights I have no idea whatsoever who I'm shooting at. Velak strongly implied I almost burnt his eartips at one point during a fight and reminded me that I was kept alive by his medical skills most of the time a Klingon slashes at me with his bat'leth.

T'Par and Gicayerr also suggested taking those bombs away from Tanak. Gicayerr can see above the cloud most of the time, but she has trouble seeing whether or not she's stepping onto one of her own mines.

Tanak wasn't happy with the news of having to give up his new toy. I gave him a combat scanner instead. He mumbled something about being a warrior, not a doctor, but I have the feeling he likes pushing the shiny buttons.

Supplemental.

Luron's body odor and spandex uniforms are a bad mixture. Till the ordered uniforms arrive I ordered the crew to dress in fabrics that allow the skin to breathe a bit more.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadBurgerMaker

Sounds like a pretty standard MMO launch, but glad you dudes seem to like it so far.   :)  Unfortunately, I just can't seem to make myself buy it.  Not really my style. 

Edit:  Oh yeah, I got an email from Shattered Crystal today.  Apparently, they have a bunch of codes that would otherwise require a trip to Del Taco:  http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/index.php/star_trek_online/

vOv  Don't know if that's something that is worth $10 to you (probably not).

Edit2:  I do have experience buying stuff from Shattered Crystal, in case their shitty website is some sort of hangup.  No problems at all.  They do tend to give you a call to verify your info though (they ask about nearby streets/intersections, etc).  Or they do for Eve timecards, at least.

Barrister

Hey Alci - they extended the grace period until Feb 8th at mdnight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2010, 02:57:39 PM
Hey Alci - they extended the grace period until Feb 8th at mdnight.

Got my box yesterday.  :cheers:

Syt

Re-post from my comments on Wargamer.com.

The repetitiveness of missions is getting to me. The scripted story missions aren't nearly as bad, but the randomized ones get old quick, even if you take the time to read the quest texts. Space combat is fun for me. Ground combat is a bit confusing and messy. I let my team do their thing most of the time as handling all five of the away team in real time against a number of moving foes with buffs and debuffs .... is hard for me. :P

Memory Alpha is indeed a PITA. I ignore it and sell my anomalies on the exchange.

Speaking of which - there's currently no real money drain, so at some point we'll probably hyperinflation on there.

So what are we left with? A (for me) rather fun space game (YMMV), mediocre ground combat and (also for me) a feeling of rushing through the game even when you take your time, because there's so little else to do besides missions.

No explorations in the sense of seeing new locales - most planet orbits/asteroid fields/planet surfaces are more or less the same (though space looks good despite the huge amount of asteroid fields). A joke of a crafting system. Little chance for socializing. Little requirement for grouping (which is not that much of a minus for me, though).

I wished my bridge officers were finally able to wear the same bonus uniforms (Wrath of Khan, TOS ...) as I.

I also wished they'd add a tool like Star Wars Galaxies has, that allows players to write their own quests and stories and make them available to other players.

If you liked Trek for more than space battles or combat and look for ethically or morally challenging quests - this is not the game for you. I wonder what a Star Trek game by Bioware would look like ... but then again we already have Mass Effect. ;-)
—Stephen Jay Gould