Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2013, 10:14:52 AM
I played last night... and remembered why I stopped playing.  Everything is a gigantic grind at max level.

There are a ton of things you can do - but all you get is XP and credits.  You can do the fabulous Foundry missions - for XP and credits.

But to get any of the fancy gear or abilities you have to grind reputation.

What do you get for finishing reputation.

If it's just the best gear, you may be being a bit unfair. It would be more accurate to say that you've completed most of the content and like most MMO's there is diminishing returns (a grind) to capping off the highest content in order to buy more time for new content later.

Barrister

No that's right.

Look I very much enjoyed the game up to levelling, and played many many hours of enjoyment out of the game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Here is my opinion of the game:

Pros:

Love the immersion in the Star Trek universe, I enjoy the space battles, I like customizing my ship, getting to name it, picking my crew, and exploring the galaxy.

Cons:

The missions tend to be very repetitive. It is usually some variant of: space battle, beam down, ground battle, beam up, final space battle, collect reward

To be fair, I'm only level 12 or so and the game could very much mix it up later on and I'm just being unfair.

I find ground battles tedious and less fun. A lot of times for me it ends up being kiting around a room shooting some klingon who can take 100 phaser blasts to the face.

I find items and skills difficult to use on the ground.

Side note:

I haven't had time to fully explore other aspects of the game, so maybe some of this is addressed in activities I just haven't tried yet.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2013, 11:51:35 AMThe missions tend to be very repetitive. It is usually some variant of: space battle, beam down, ground battle, beam up, final space battle, collect reward

No, that is indeed the majority of missions. There's some exceptions (most notably the featured episodes), and the Forge can have a few fun quests, with the best of them trying to capture the TV series' feel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Beeb doesn't like end game in any MMO, so take his whinging with big grain of salt.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

End game usually tends to be boring and geared towards people devoted to burning a lot of time for incremental rewards. Leveling is a much faster process that usually has greater return on time invested.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Arvoreen

If you don't like end-game content, switch to something like EvE, where there is no end-game.... :D

DontSayBanana

So I finally got back into this yesterday, and my first impression is that they really lowered the bar on difficulty- I've played it quite a bit, but I haven't really been grinding, and the toon I made is already at level 17 (respeccing my old toon to work with the new mechanics just looked like too daunting a task, which sucks because I have all my old C-Store goodies tied to that one).
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Level 21, and I'm irritated by the lack of storyline quests available.  I know they retooled the way missions are given since I last was playing actively, but my Klingon Front missions just stopped at destroying the weapons lab- what do I have to do to get the Planet Killer mission to pop?  Or get started on the Romulan front or the Cardassian front, for that matter?
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Well, I'm a dumbass.  I'd completely forgotten that that obnoxious Franklin Drake popup that wouldn't go away was a main quest.  The Devidians are toast (main quest, at least- wasn't there an FE that revolved around them?), and that seals it for me that the difficulty was lowered.  For me, they were always the toughest enemies, being able to chain holds that could take me out faster than a specced-out PVP'er.  This time around, the Shrouded Phantasm got me to about 15% health, but I managed to take him out without having to respawn.
Experience bij!

Syt

I wanted to log in today but couldn't remember my password. So I try to recover it from the website, but it keeps telling me that my email address isn't linked to a Perfect World account. I'm pretty sure I made the (annoying and cumbersome) switch back when Cryptic got swallowed by them a few years ago.

Still, it tells me that all my email addresses/aliases are invalid. Which is weird, because I logged in fine earlier this year.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Looking around it appears that a lot of Perfect World accounts got hacked this year (from May onward, seemingly with the launch of Neverwinter).

It might be a good idea for Languishites who play STO, Champions Online or any other game that has a Perfect World account to check if their log ins are still fine.

I sent support an email, forwarding my original order cofirmation, but checking user threads on their forums it can take days to get things sorted out.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So yep, someone tried to hijack my account:

QuoteHello,

This account has been temporarily banned for your safety because it may have been accessed without your authorization. Before the ban can be lifted, you are required to verify your identity and then change the account password.

Please reply to this message with the following information, to verify your identity:

PWE registered Account (Log In) Name:
PWE registered Display Name (Forum Name):
PWE registered Account's Current Registered Email Address:
Date of Birth:
Your IP address (go to www.whatismyipaddress.com to get this):
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Haven't played this for months.

But just found out there's a new Featured Episode out.  Those are always good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I haven't bothered re-appropriating my account.
—Stephen Jay Gould