Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

They've announced more details.

From what I can tell a free account is limited in slots, storage space, and can't create Foundry missions (but can play them).   It seems like a pretty good deal to me.

and as a lifer, I gather I'll get a few points for free every month.  Since I had previously spent  afew bucks here and there at the Cryptic Store, this seems like it would save me money.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Oh, wow.  That's actually a really good loadout for the free players (cheapskates like me), especially those of us who take the time to plan our training well in advance.
Experience bij!

Barrister

The game hasn't gone F2P yet, but all the F2P changes have gone live as of today for anyone with a subscription.

I've been looking forward to checking out the Duty Officer system myself.

http://www.startrekonline.com/season_five

Barrister

The Duty Officer system is... interesting.

You have a bunch of duty officers.  You can send them on various missions (which take certain amounts of time to complete).  Upon them completing their missions, they can increase various skills or gather other resorces.

Its essentially a whole non-combat mini-game.  If nothing else it gives you a nice reason to log in once a day just to set your DOffs to do their thing.  I'm still trying to master it though, so I'll give a more complete review later on.

Syt

Doesn't SWTOR have that for companions? With the "crew skills" you buy you can send them on missions to gather crafting resources.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2011, 02:44:47 PM
Doesn't SWTOR have that for companions? With the "crew skills" you buy you can send them on missions to gather crafting resources.

Yes.

The implentation is quite different though.  In STO your duty officers aren't characters you can interact with - they're mere entries on a ledger.  There is also a much wider range of missions you can send them on.  They can also be injured, or even die, on more dangerous missions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2011, 02:50:54 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2011, 02:44:47 PM

Yes.

The implentation is quite different though.  In STO your duty officers aren't characters you can interact with - they're mere entries on a ledger.  There is also a much wider range of missions you can send them on.  They can also be injured, or even die, on more dangerous missions.

just dont dress them in red uniforms and they will be fine.

Syt

I just had a look at the DO system. On the whole it seems to boil down to a collectible card game. You can buy random "packs" of DOs for 220 Cryptic Store points. You can assign them ship duties to gain some boni in space or ground combat, or send them on missions to collect stuff, level up etc. with some minor risk/reward scheme. You can also trade them with other players, I've read.

I logged in my Lower Half Admiral - was a bit of a pain to re-skill completely, but it seems a lot more streamlined and improved. And I received ten or so new bridge officers. :lol:

Btw, Rear Admiral ships, with all that borg tech added to them, look hideous.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Re-downloading, since they're letting those of us with lapsed subs in early.  Who else is still playing/coming back to try out the F2P?
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 05, 2012, 08:45:10 PM
Re-downloading, since they're letting those of us with lapsed subs in early.  Who else is still playing/coming back to try out the F2P?

I've was playing before TOR went live, and mean to come back (since it's well free and all).  It's not a great game, but it's a fun game, so you can count on my return at some point.

MadBurgerMaker

I never subscribed (only played the beta), but I'll probably check it out again at some point now that it's f2p. 

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah this game is still a terrible buggy mess.  I'm coming across bugs that I remember reporting in the beta, what, a year ago now?  Not to mention the shiny new ones (For me, at least. After looking them up, I saw some of those have been in since the beta as well) and the crashing that happens way too often. 

The crashing is especially irritating for me, since after each time it does, I can't get back into the game without force closing their error reporter and game client, deleting some .hogg files, then letting the launcher crash at least once during verification (and force closing everything), then finally unfuck itself and DL anywhere from 4 - 6gbs of .hogg files.  Just started doing this after the patch on the 20th.  Pretty unacceptable. 

sbr

Christ I can't imagine any game worth all that

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 22, 2012, 05:22:32 PM
Christ I can't imagine any game worth all that

I bothered with it twice because I wanted to get to the next tier of ships (commander) and maybe start checking out some PvP, but it just crashed again about 15 minutes ago and...I think I'm done.

Syt

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 22, 2012, 05:14:13 PM
Yeah this game is still a terrible buggy mess.  I'm coming across bugs that I remember reporting in the beta, what, a year ago now?  Not to mention the shiny new ones (For me, at least. After looking them up, I saw some of those have been in since the beta as well) and the crashing that happens way too often. 

The crashing is especially irritating for me, since after each time it does, I can't get back into the game without force closing their error reporter and game client, deleting some .hogg files, then letting the launcher crash at least once during verification (and force closing everything), then finally unfuck itself and DL anywhere from 4 - 6gbs of .hogg files.  Just started doing this after the patch on the 20th.  Pretty unacceptable.

What kind of bugs are those? I don't recall any major issues while playing, but I might have missed them.
—Stephen Jay Gould