Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2011, 01:09:24 PM
lol Yeah i need to get the ST:TMP unis first :blush:

Don't have those either.

But I do have the open jacket unis... :perv:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2011, 02:17:16 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2011, 01:09:24 PM
lol Yeah i need to get the ST:TMP unis first :blush:

Don't have those either.

But I do have the open jacket unis... :perv:

Well of course.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Jesus, what a bunch of bitches.

Everytime I think I might want to give STO a shot, you two start going on about "Do you have the Hello Kitty uniforms? Isn't it to die for???" and I change my mind...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2011, 03:19:06 PM
Jesus, what a bunch of bitches.

Everytime I think I might want to give STO a shot, you two start going on about "Do you have the Hello Kitty uniforms? Isn't it to die for???" and I change my mind...

:huh:

The uni options are completely, 100% fluff, with no impact on gameplay whatsoever.  As mentioned while I have bought some of them, I certainly haven't bought all, and it makes no real difference.

Well... you can buy XP boosts (though you can get them in game somehow as well), but since so much content in STO scales to level, you're a fool if you rush to level cap.

Berkut

That is what I mean - it is all 100% fluff, but that is mostly what you guys talk about. So it suggests to me that the best part of the game is to get some new damned Bjoran speedo or something.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2011, 03:23:59 PM
That is what I mean - it is all 100% fluff, but that is mostly what you guys talk about. So it suggests to me that the best part of the game is to get some new damned Bjoran speedo or something.

I think you missed all the  :blush: smilies, indicating we were rather ashamed of ourselves for buying thi s fluff too.

But if you want a reason to start playing:

1. Featured Episodes.  Really well done.  Best content in the game.

2. Foundry.  Within a few days there are hundreds, if not thousands, of user made missions already.  Plenty of them are crap, but if you spend a bit of time looking you can find some beautifully crafted missions.

Berkut

The best way to convince me is with the gameplay. Does flying the ships still feel like you are just turning around in circles mashing the SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT key?

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2011, 03:42:08 PM
The best way to convince me is with the gameplay. Does flying the ships still feel like you are just turning around in circles mashing the SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT key?

Depends on what kind of ship you're playing.  As you get higher levels you get many, many more abilities to play with, so tactically things get much more complicated.  If you're flying cruisers they can be slow to turn so some people do get frustrated with that.  Sapce combat at Lt. is a little dry with only one or two abilities to use.

There is heavy use of the space bar to "fire all beams" however.

But I disagree - the reason to play the game is for enjoyable gameplay in a strong Star Trek setting.  I doub't I'd be playing it if it was Star Journeys Online, or some generic space MMO.  But if the game captures the feel of the universe (and it does), it's worth playing.  And the Featured Episodes and the good Foundry missions do just that.

Scipio

My opinion: away missions suck.  Spaceflight is where it's at.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on April 07, 2011, 06:03:41 PM
My opinion: away missions suck.  Spaceflight is where it's at.

Away missions are getting better.  They've been moving to away missions with less combat, but more puzzles / dialogue / problem solving.  Again I sound like a broken record, but the ground missions in the last Featured Episode series were really good - the space combat in comparison was a letdown.

In part they did that not only by introducing puzzles, but by limiting you.  One mission has you and one BOff, another has just you with only melee weapons (and included my single greatest STO moment so far), and a third has just you, but with away teams beaming in and out to assist you.

Finished the Nine Space Deep foundry - it was good, fun storyline.  Then I did Brains Before Bounty - technically very well done, tons of detail, very pretty.  Storyline was pretty average.  Now I'm doing one with some fruity title "Now are Wanerings are no more" or some such.  No combat at all.  I haven't finished, but this is simply excellent so far.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2011, 03:03:17 AM
:lol:

I got a message in STO.  My username is BarristerBoy in their forums, and somewhere I posted about being from the Yukon.

Well some guy messages me, wondering who I am.  He suggested perhaps I was a Legal Aid lawyer who I know well (But apparently he asked that lawyer and he said he doesn't play STO), and then said he is the husband of a second Legal Aid lawyer who I also know very well.

This is too damn small of a world...
Blow up his ship!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

The 'No more Wanderings' was the best Foundry mission so far IMO.

I did another mission 'Evangeline" which was also nice.

So far no Foundry missions have been utter crap.  At least that I have done.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

katmai

Why are trying to get me to stop playing Beeb?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son