Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2010, 06:30:06 PM
Hm, so catching up in this thread leads me to believe I made the right choice by not buying this game after having played the beta.

I remain convinced that nothing is ever going to be able to compete with WoW in the MMO genre, which is a damn shame.... or at least that the eventual competitor is still years away.

Why does it have to 'compete' with WoW?  I hope that it will be equal to LotRO - a successful niche game that continues to generate players and new content for years to come.

I like STO, and have played it most days since release.  In the short term it is showing a commitment to new content.  Activity has likely died off since the initial rush, but due to the one 'shard' design you can't tell.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Hm, so catching up in this thread leads me to believe I made the right choice by not buying this game after having played the beta.

I remain convinced that nothing is ever going to be able to compete with WoW in the MMO genre, which is a damn shame.... or at least that the eventual competitor is still years away.

I think I will wait until someone says "this game is better then Wow."  It might be WoWII before anyone can say that.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 15, 2010, 06:35:15 PM

I think I will wait until someone says "this game is better then Wow."  It might be WoWII before anyone can say that.

I am enjoying this game more than WoW.   :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2010, 06:36:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 15, 2010, 06:35:15 PM

I am enjoying this game more than WoW.   :huh:

I forget the name for the psychological effect, but people always enjoy things they paid a lot of money to experience.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2010, 06:35:07 PM
Why does it have to 'compete' with WoW? 
Because everyone who produces an MMO wants to make shitloads of money doing it. :huh:

I do agree that LOTRO was/is a great game and occasionally consider going back to it.  But I probably consider going back to WoW more often simply because I know more people who still play it, which is one of the things that WoW has going for it (strength in massive numbers).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 15, 2010, 06:39:15 PM
I forget the name for the psychological effect, but people always enjoy things they paid a lot of money to experience.

I won't deny that possibility, but I was enjoying it before I bought a lifetime subscription.  Indeed I was enjoying it enough that I bought a lifetime subscription.

sbr

Gamersgate has the game for $20 off.

$29.95 for the base game and 39.95 for the Deluxe Digital version

Barrister

Is there any way to buy multiples of any vendor item?

I need to purchase 160 of an item, and it's painful if I have to do it one by one...

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2010, 01:50:59 PM
Is there any way to buy multiples of any vendor item?

I need to purchase 160 of an item, and it's painful if I have to do it one by one...

No, and the mission is reviled (haven't played it, but seen it referenced frequently).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I can see why.  It took 480 clicks to buy those items.

And once I turn in those items, I find I need to go buy something else.

<_<

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2010, 02:06:54 PM

<_<

I always deleted those types of missions.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2010, 10:47:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2010, 02:06:54 PM

<_<

I always deleted those types of missions.

There are the ones in the cluster missions that yeah, I just delete.

But this is the first one I've ever seen that was part of a Episode mission, so I want to finish it.  But needing 160 of one type of item, in order to buy 10 of another type of item, in order to finish it, was painful when you had to buy the items one by one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2010, 11:53:19 PM
But this is the first one I've ever seen that was part of a Episode mission, so I want to finish it.

ouch. That is definitely no fun.

Barrister

On the plus side I hit Captain rank.  Gone is the silly T3 science ship, now with the much better looking 'voyager' class ship.   :cool:

Pain in the ass to have to re-arrange all my skills, but I'll live.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2010, 11:53:19 PM
There are the ones in the cluster missions that yeah, I just delete.

But this is the first one I've ever seen that was part of a Episode mission, so I want to finish it.  But needing 160 of one type of item, in order to buy 10 of another type of item, in order to finish it, was painful when you had to buy the items one by one.

Exchange was the way to go for that mission, if you're talking about the Entertainment Provisions; I picked up 10 of them for 32,000 credits.
Experience bij!