Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

I mean don't get me wrong, i can see CC's and Alci's views. Cryptic will need to add more variety in missions to keep people around. But i like dealing with BO skills as i sit there trying to figure out the best combination of officers for my playstyle in space combat.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

I haven't lvled enough to get the 2nd ship yet but the game feels very boring to me. I have no drive to play. No sense of really achieving anything.

Haven't played in 3 days, not a good sign.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

How can i put this a nice way.

GF you would never be my barometer for a game. :P

Grey Fox

I'm okay with that.

We're not really the same type of gamer at all.

Plus, I'm flakey.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2010, 04:04:13 PM
Don't hold your breath on the SW MMO, is it still more then 1 year away.

Yes I know. I think LotRO and STO will keep me busy, MMO wise, till then.

I have to leave it to Bioware and Lucasarts, they know how to run publicity for a game and create an appealing website where you can spend an hour or so just looking at class info, planet info, dev blogs about characters and class stories, comics, etc. Looks like they have "a bit" of a budget to work with.

Setting the game in the Old Republic, 300 years after KotOR also removes a lot of canon baggage. Although I look forward to seeing how Taris went from city planet to world of jungle overgrown ruins.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 05:01:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing this morning as I entered a new sector.  Its all the same. Same enemies, same basic quest tasks, same items (with the only difference being MRK 1-whatever).  There is no sense of exploration in this game.  No sense of wondering what is around the next corner.  Its all pretty generic.

I think an issue is here that Star Trek has fewer iconic places than, say, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. How many planets from Star Trek do you remember? How many even make more than one appearance?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Syt

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2010, 12:48:19 AM
Spoken like a Star Wars fan. :yuk:

:rolleyes:

Just saying that Star Trek is more ship and crew focused, and less on places and locations which makes the exploration new locations bit a mite dull in STO.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Tried palying klingons today. not many missions. instances and pvp.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on February 14, 2010, 01:37:06 AM

Yeah, I think I'll try Klingons again when I've maxed out my fed character and see what has changed till then.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2010, 01:42:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 14, 2010, 01:37:06 AM

Yeah, I think I'll try Klingons again when I've maxed out my fed character and see what has changed till then.

Sounds like good idea, since they say will be trying to add new content each week.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2010, 12:41:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing this morning as I entered a new sector.  Its all the same. Same enemies, same basic quest tasks, same items (with the only difference being MRK 1-whatever).  There is no sense of exploration in this game.  No sense of wondering what is around the next corner.  Its all pretty generic.

I think an issue is here that Star Trek has fewer iconic places than, say, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. How many planets from Star Trek do you remember? How many even make more than one appearance?

Star Wars is 6 movies.

LotR is 4 books.

Star Trek is 11 movies and 6 television series, containing hundreds of hours of materials.

Don't focus on how many planets from ST you remember.  The show always had most of its action in space.  Instead think of how many characters do you remember - how many aliens do you remember - how many ships do you remember.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2010, 02:06:45 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2010, 12:41:49 AM

Star Wars is 6 movies.

LotR is 4 books.

Star Trek is 11 movies and 6 television series, containing hundreds of hours of materials.

Don't focus on how many planets from ST you remember.  The show always had most of its action in space.  Instead think of how many characters do you remember - how many aliens do you remember - how many ships do you remember.

That's true of course. However, the game is set in a time when most people from the shows/movies are either very old, or long dead (though they shovel in descendants of the Star Trek aristocracy, like Akira Sulu), so for the moment it feels kind of disconnected from the Trek I know.

I know that this is kind of what TNG had to struggle against when it was new (unknown crew, new ships, new races etc.), so I guess the 2409 universe will have to grow on me just as the TNG universe did.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

I've been curious as to the question of will they ever show any of the characters from the shows in game, or stick to the descendants as you mention.