Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 04, 2010, 01:19:21 PM
Good! Can you give me some examples?

I almost never fly in circles now.

When fighting smaller more maneuveralbe oppopents I put my engines on minimum power (so I have enough to do a tight turn) and blast at them while laying my mines.  As they come closer - as they always do (even in PVP) and they come into range of my mines, my mines detect them and usually destroy or come close destroying them.

If I going up against a number of pvp oppontents I switch my back end to a medium arc disruptor and try to place my strongest shield toward them.  That takes some skill because in PvP shields can be taken down very quickly so its no so much a question of circling to obtain the best arc but moving back and forth the present different shield fronts to absorb damage.  If the battle shifts and they are on the defensive then its becomes a question of staying on their weaken shield side to get your torps in before someone uses a skill to repair that shield.

Also, group play become very tactical as skills, in particular engineering skills, can be used to help other ships in trouble.

There are a lot of options out there.  Part of the fund in the mid-later game will be finding the right mix to form of fleet to go into battle with.

Barrister

What's also fun is that at least right now there's no cookie-cutter "right way to play".  There's no fixed optimal 'builds' for your skills.  I'm sure that'll all happen in time, but right now it's very free form, with people trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

OK, I just bought both STO and Mass Effect to for $25 each. So I guess this is now TEH BESTEST GAME EVAH!

Apparently FYE was having a "PC games are lame so lets get rid of them" sale, but still got in some new games...that ring up under the 50% off deal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on February 04, 2010, 02:33:16 PM
OK, I just bought both STO and Mass Effect to for $25 each. So I guess this is now TEH BESTEST GAME EVAH!

Apparently FYE was having a "PC games are lame so lets get rid of them" sale, but still got in some new games...that ring up under the 50% off deal.

Nice.   :cool:

But I have noticed that the local WalMart (which carried a pretty small selection of PC Games, but at least had some) has gotten rid of them, and the EB Games has stopped bringing in any new PC games.  I believe that means there are no local stores that sell PC Games, at all.

katmai

Funny Berkie, we had similar phenomena here, expect it was FYE stores are lame so let's get rid of them.( they had two stores here in town, but went out of business so no FYE till Washington now)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

You know, I guess I understand "why" we can hear the phaser blasts and explosions, but when I fly past a mining operation, how the hell can I possibly hear the sounds of their machinery?   :huh:

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2010, 01:07:51 PM
I do have the feeling that I should spend more time figuring out ground combat.  My away team seems to just randomly mill around.  However I just sit there with my sniper rifle and I don't think I've lost a ground combat yet.

I can imagine that an away team with 5 players, where you can actually co-ordinate your strategy, could be a lot of fun.

I died today against a Klingon Swordmaster, but mostly because my Science Officer/healer got stuck behind a corner and couldn't save me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

The thing is I'm playing a science officer, and really, I wish I could set it up where I'm the healer, but the BOff AI just isn't good enough at picking the most dangerous enemy, finishing it off, then moving to the next one.

Syt

Btw, moved on to a cruiser. My crew is, except for the captain, non-human. Two Vulcans, an alien, a Klingon, an Andorian and a Ferengi. So far, though, I have a feeling that I'm levelling without trying much. Whatever you do in this game it leads to you gaining XP. I'm dropping missions already that I've "outgrown" (5 levels below me), and haven't even scratched the surface of PvP yet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2010, 04:17:08 PM
Btw, moved on to a cruiser. My crew is, except for the captain, non-human. Two Vulcans, an alien, a Klingon, an Andorian and a Ferengi. So far, though, I have a feeling that I'm levelling without trying much. Whatever you do in this game it leads to you gaining XP. I'm dropping missions already that I've "outgrown" (5 levels below me), and haven't even scratched the surface of PvP yet.

That's generally a good thing, no?

Scipio

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
My Science BO ability is Placate for 9 seconds. For 9 seconds, it jams the targets sensors. Effectively jamming then.

Too bad it has a 2min cooldown.

Nifty ability, imo.
I like to go charging in half-speed to a group of BoP, with Emergency power to shields active, drop placate on my target, and then High-yield torpedo my Quantum torps and bam!  One dead BoP, and the rest get knocked down quick.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DocDoom7

yeah I use that placate as a nice reprieve from damage...  usually i hit tractor beam at the same time, holding the side with shields down towards me and blasting the hell out of them with no damage in return muhahahah! 

Alcibiades

I pulled jam sensors for tachyon beam, but it appears that the tachyon beam I thought I had in beta was a lot stronger than the one I have now.  In beta it would cut the shields for the enemy ships, now it doesn't do anything really.   <_<
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 04, 2010, 06:52:05 PM
I pulled jam sensors for tachyon beam, but it appears that the tachyon beam I thought I had in beta was a lot stronger than the one I have now.  In beta it would cut the shields for the enemy ships, now it doesn't do anything really.   <_<

The effectiveness of Tachyon beam scales with your aux power settings and works best within 5km.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Alcibiades

Good to know.

On a side note, ran into a Scimitar during a defend the Alpha Centauri Sector.  It one shotted me and a few other guys with its area of effect weapon.   :lol:

Never seen one of them before in game, it's a dreadnought.    :bowler:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain