Star Trek Online: The Continuing Languish Mission

Started by Barrister, January 28, 2010, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

They've opened up a store to purchase things with microtransactions.  In addition to the $15 monthly fee.  WTF!?   :lol:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=62210

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 03, 2010, 12:15:30 PM
They've opened up a store to purchase things with microtransactions.  In addition to the $15 monthly fee.  WTF!?   :lol:

Old news - it's even been discussed in this very thread.

They've promised that nothing that impacts game play will be added (or if it is, there will be an in-game way to acquire the item).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 03, 2010, 06:55:07 AM
Where do I enter said code?

http://www.startrekonline.com

No, really.  There's a box on the right hand side, mid way down the page, that says "enter code".

Grey Fox

Redeem your key? Same place I put my retail key? That's...peculiar
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 03, 2010, 12:15:30 PM

There's one for Champion Online, it doesn't come as any surprise.

Also, even Blizzard does microtransaction nowadays.

crazy canuck

I am now almost level 9 so my impressions of the game are obviously from only the starting zones but on the whole I find the game very immersive and addicting.  I havent felt this way about an MMO since the start of WoW.

Pros:

- I really like the way they have structured their missions and travel around the playing areas.  Very little travel time and you can get to the fun of playing missions quickly and easily.

- I like the variety of components you can put on your ship.  I like that there is not a single must have uber set up.  I really like the fact that you have to make choices about how you are going to equip your ship.  Last night I had to make the painful decision of whether to abandon my much beloved mine layer in favour of a rear facing wide arc disruptor.  In the end I decided I would use the mine layer for PvE and the disruptor for PvP.

- I like the artwork and the dialogue.  Like I said, very immersive.

-I like the PvP design.  Easy to access battles in the nuetral zone fit really well with the Star Trek world.

Cons:

I dont like how they have handled the anomaly data we collect.  You need to turn in some amount (which I dont know yet) in order to unlock better items but in order to turn them in you must be in possession of something on a small list of things to upgrade - which I am not.  To fix this you must go out and purchase a large number of those things.  The system makes no sense.  We should just be able to turn in the data to get points toward upgrades.

I dont like the lack of interface abilities to communicate targets etc in PvP or even PvE battles when you have joined a fleet.  This might come with ugrades to equipment.   I hope so.

I really really dont like the fact that there is no explanation at all about what most of the stats in the game actually do.  I am developing my Captain as best I can based on the poor descriptions available but really I have no idea what giving an extra +5 on Warp Core theory actually does.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Just a chart with all the useless descriptions.

I still dont know what giving +5 to warp core theory does. :P  I just add skill points and hope for the best given the general description.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2010, 03:56:56 PM

I still dont know what giving +5 to warp core theory does. :P  I just add skill points and hope for the best given the general description.

Sigh, if one clicks the skill it tells you what it does.

QuoteStarship power levels skill

This skill improves the power levels of your starship systems and any starship power management abilities.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on February 03, 2010, 04:01:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2010, 03:56:56 PM

Sigh, if one clicks the skill it tells you what it does.

QuoteStarship power levels skill

This skill improves the power levels of your starship systems and any starship power management abilities.

Okay, so what does that mean?  In particular, what does +12 mean?  +12 what?

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2010, 04:04:19 PM

Okay, so what does that mean?  In particular, what does +12 mean?  +12 what?

Well in particular it gives bonus to these skills
    * Emergency Power to Auxiliary
    * Emergency Power to Engines
    * Emergency Power to Shields
    * Emergency Power to Weapons
In conjunction with other skills (for example add Warp Core Theory with Starship Auxiliary Systems Maintenance to get a bigger bonus to  Emergency Power to Auxiliary)

Grey Fox

But, his question remains, +12 what?

No points in is what? 1.00? and you add .12? or it becomes 13? 13 what?

katmai

No no points mean no points, ffs guys.

When ranked up, most skills come with a Stat bonus number. Typically, this number is the bonus applied to the items or abilities that use that stat. For instance...

* Starship Energy Weapons Training: 17
    * Starship Beam Weapons: 22
    * Starship Cannon Weapons: 28
    * Starship Phaser Weapons: 36
    * Starship Disruptor: 40

That says there is a 17% damage bonus to all Energy Weapons, a 22% damage bonus to all Beam Weapons, a 28% bonus to all cannons weapons, and so on.
Use a Phaser Cannon and the total damage bonus would then be 17 + 28 + 36 = 81%.
Use a Disruptor Beam Array and the total damage bonus would be 17 + 22 + 40 = 79%.
Most items and abilities work with Skills in a similar manner, but sometimes the bonuses apply in a different way.
For instance, some stats don't increase the magnitude of an ability, but instead increase the duration.
In some more powerful abilities, it's not a one-to-one ratio and you only get half the bonus from Skill.

katmai

So for example say I have rank 3 of Warp Core Training and you haven't put any points in it.

We both can still use the 4 skills mentioned
    * Emergency Power to Auxiliary
    * Emergency Power to Engines
    * Emergency Power to Shields
    * Emergency Power to Weapons
But where you won't get any bonus I'll get a little bit more of a boost (in this case +12 more energy) when using that ability.

Grey Fox

They are percentage!!!! Gawd, that wasn't clear at all.