News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to End NASA Constellation Program?

Started by KRonn, January 27, 2010, 02:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I hope we don't go the way that is being suggested in this report.   :huh:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/27/obama-budget-drop-nasa-constellation-program/

Obama to End NASA Constellation Program?

When President Obama releases his budget on Monday, there may be a big hole where funding for NASA's Constellation program used to be. Constellation is the umbrella program that includes the Ares rocket -- the replacement for the aging space shuttles.

According to a report in the Orlando Sentinel, the forthcoming budget -- which the president will announce in detail during Wednesday night's State of the Union address -- will include no funding for lunar landers, no moon bases, and no Constellation program at all. Instead, NASA will outsource space flight to other governments (such as the Russians) and private companies.

NASA's Constellation program aims to create a new generation of spacecraft for human spaceflight, consisting primarily of the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles, the Orion crew capsule and the Altair Lunar Lander. These spacecraft will be capable of performing a variety of missions, from International Space Station resupply to lunar landings.

SLIDESHOW: The Ares Rocket

But according to the Sentinel, White House insiders and agency officials say NASA will eventually look at developing a new "heavy-lift" rocket that one day will take humans and robots to explore beyond low Earth orbit years in the future -- and possibly even decades or more.

In the meantime, the White House will direct NASA to concentrate on Earth-science projects -- principally, researching and monitoring climate change -- and on a new technology research and development program that will one day make human exploration of asteroids and the solar system possible.

There will also be funding for private companies to develop capsules and rockets that can be used as space taxis, reports the Sentinel. These companies may take astronauts on fixed-price contracts to and from the International Space Station -- a major change in the way the agency has done business for the past 50 years.

NASA's budget, just over $18.7 billion this year, is still expected to rise again in 2011, reports Space.com, though by much less than the $1 billion increase NASA and its contractors have been privately anticipating since mid-December. A White House-appointed panel, led by former Lockheed Martin chief Norm Augustine, urged these changes on the administration in December.

The panel also said a worthwhile manned space exploration program would require Obama to budget about $55 billion for human spaceflight over the next five years, some $11 billion more than he included in the 2011-2015 forecast he sent Congress last spring.

A senior administration official told Fox News that rather than space programs, the president plans to use the address to renew his focus on jobs, calling for swift action on lagging bills providing tax cuts for job creation, new equipment purchases and the elimination of capital gains for small businesses.

Neil

It'd be just as well.  You aren't ready for space yet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

Josquius

Whatever happened to spending money on prestige projects to make people forget their real problems :(
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

First step towards the diversion of funds into NASSA?

You have yourselves to blame for electing one of them science hating darkies  :hmm:

Barrister

I can't help but think that NASA abandoning it's own internal launch capability is a tremendously bad idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

At least this may give Obama something to be remembered by: The President who put the final nail into the US space program.

Hope! Change!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

We should farm NASA operations out to Virgin Galactic and those SpaceShipOne guys.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2010, 03:01:33 PM
I can't help but think that NASA abandoning it's own internal launch capability is a tremendously bad idea.
Agreed.  Obama's goal here is to reassure the Republicans that he indeed is a eunuch.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on January 27, 2010, 03:23:01 PM
At least this may give Obama something to be remembered by: The President who put the final nail into the US space program.

Hope! Change!

Hey, you wanted cuts in spending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

India just announced they will launch their first manned space mission in 2016

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8483787.stm

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

citizen k

Quote from: Warspite on January 27, 2010, 06:33:18 PM
This thread needs Hamilcar.

It needs an astrophysicist or an arrogant asshole?