News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French Report Calls for Ban on Veil

Started by Savonarola, January 26, 2010, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on January 28, 2010, 03:44:15 PM
I have evidence that Jefferson made the same claim that you do, I don't have evidence to support your claim.

Unless of course Jefferson has been deified in your ontology, which I grant is fully within the realm of the possible.

Jefferson was only deified to the extent that he supported rights of persons.  To the extent he supported rights of states, his quotes are irrelevant.

Slargos

Quote from: ulmont on January 28, 2010, 03:46:25 PM
I have evidence that Jefferson made the same claim that you do, I don't have evidence to support your claim.

Unless of course Jefferson has been deified in your ontology, which I grant is fully within the realm of the possible.

Jefferson was only deified to the extent that he supported rights of persons.  To the extent he supported rights of states, his quotes are irrelevant.

I am beginning to grok.  :lol:

Siege

Why is Jaron still using that offensive and racist avatar.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

How is something offensive AND racist?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on January 28, 2010, 03:58:00 PM
Why is Jaron still using that offensive and racist avatar.

Cause he's a troll.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Some people just can't seem to clear the blurred line between rights and powers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2010, 04:03:00 PM
Some people just can't seem to clear the blurred line between rights and powers.

Kings and princes for one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on January 28, 2010, 03:36:38 PM
:huh:

I haven't argued that everything has rights. I have protested your notion that states cannot (and do not) have rights.
If states can have rights, anything can have rights.  States are in no way a unique phenomenon.  Whatever possesses the power to grant states their rights can be presumed to possess the power to grant rights to anything.

QuoteAs for evidence on declarations of rights pertaining to societal structures rather than individuals, here is the UN declaration on the rights of "peoples"

http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/en/drip.html

and on the rights of states

http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/37/a37r092.htm

C.  Rights and benefits
     5.   Every State has an equal right to conduct activities in the field of
international direct television broadcasting by satellite and to authorize
such activities by persons and entities under its jurisdiction.  All States
and peoples are entitled to and should enjoy the benefits from such
activities.  Access to the technology in this field should be available to all

States without discrimination on terms mutually agreed by all concerned.
Yes, these are "rights" like the http://www.jetblue.com/about/ourcompany/promise/index.html Jet Blue Customer Rights, which aren't rights at all, in that they can be withdrawn by the same authority that grants them.  We have all agreed that those kinds of "rights" exist - states have them, animals have them, customers have them... maybe even fire hydrants!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on January 28, 2010, 03:23:38 PM
You glossed over the writings of Thomas Jefferson several hundred years later, and the Treaty of Montevideo over a hundred years after that.
You are right.  Enlighten me.  According to Jefferson, from whence comes the rights of states, and where are those rights enumerated (insofar as they are enumerated)?

Ditto for tyhe Treaty of montevideo, where it differs from Jefferson.

QuoteYou're also applying a different standard with respect to the rights of humans (you asserted they come from their creator; to which I reply "show me that creator") and states.
Yes, precisely.  Unless you believe that the rights of states come from their creator?

I have no problem having different standards for the rights of persons and non-persons.  Do you have a problem with that?  Or do you think that whatever agency you imagine grants rights to humans could as easily grant those same rights to fire hydrants?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Are you saying that you disagree with Jefferson?  What is your point here?

QuoteUnless of course Jefferson has been deified in your ontology, which I grant is fully within the realm of the possible.
Not in mine.  How about yours (because I grant you that such is entirely possible)?

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2010, 05:17:42 PM

If states can have rights, anything can have rights.  States are in no way a unique phenomenon.  Whatever possesses the power to grant states their rights can be presumed to possess the power to grant rights to anything.

CAN have. Not must have. Nice strawman, though.

Are you seriously arguing that a ruler cannot bestow rights on whatever object or person he desires?

Law is a suggestion, gravity is not. This is the difference between "natural" rights and natural law.

Yes, these are "rights" like the http://www.jetblue.com/about/ourcompany/promise/index.html Jet Blue Customer Rights, which aren't rights at all, in that they can be withdrawn by the same authority that grants them.  We have all agreed that those kinds of "rights" exist - states have them, animals have them, customers have them... maybe even fire hydrants!

We are in agreement then, states can have rights, and indeed do have rights. I don't see why you continue arguing the subject.  :huh:

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2010, 05:30:16 PM
Are you saying that you disagree with Jefferson?  What is your point here?

Very much so. That is not the subject at hand, however. You were asked to bring evidence for the existence of natural rights, and you have thus far only been able to quote someone else also making an assertion.

QuoteNot in mine.  How about yours (because I grant you that such is entirely possible)?

I am rubber you are glue?  :huh:

MadImmortalMan

The assertion of natural rights is the foundation of modern law and the moral justification for representative democracy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2010, 05:51:05 PM
The assertion of natural rights is the foundation of modern law and the moral justification for representative democracy.

I don't see where that is relevant to the discussion at hand, which is actually turning into two salient questions:

1. Can states have rights?

2. What makes natural rights natural?

"People have worn clothes for ages" has no relevance when questioning why they wear clothes in the first place.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on January 28, 2010, 02:31:00 PM
If we're going to clarify the definition of "rights" then this discussion becomes much simpler, but I've mostly seen blanket statements so far.

What kind of statements are you looking for?

QuoteOf course, I find your assertion about what a government can and cannot do to be completely ridiculous, but I guess that also depends on the definition of "can", doesn't it? 

I am puzzled by this response; there are very practical limitations on what governments cannot do in consitutional democracies.  For example, if an official of the state seizes me without charge for a certain time, I am entitled to get a writ (a command) from a judge and the official is bound to obey it.  This is not mere theory - such events happen all the time, even when the government of the time is very much against it.  The fact that the last US administration -- which had very definitive ideas of their own power - honored a court writ issued on behalf of suspected terrorist and enemy of the state where the administration firmly believed the writ lacked any proper basis - illustrates that assertions about what governments can and can't do are far from idle talk..
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson