Blundering through the Black. A Firefly RPG AAR.

Started by Syt, January 24, 2010, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Faeelin on February 18, 2010, 02:17:56 PM
Aren't you being a bit unfair with teh currency? Shouldn't most people know about the credits?

My ingame reasoning was that the very thorough shakedown by Cpt. Avery registered the money on them before they had a chance to get any laundering done. I got away with it, mostly because i played Cpt. Avery pretty convincing and his interrogation/searches left them pretty shaken.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Korea

I like reading this. But why do you have to wait so long to play again? I don't think I understand how you play this game either.
I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

Quote from: Korea on February 20, 2010, 12:19:33 PM
I like reading this. But why do you have to wait so long to play again? I don't think I understand how you play this game either.

Well, even with three people (two of which are in relationships) it's not always easy to set aside 4 to 6 hours of playing time.

The game is a pen and paper RPG. You have a game master (that'd be me) who runs the narrative and officiates and players who create characters and play the protagonists. In critical situations (influencing someone, hacking a computer, combat, flying a ship through an asteroid field) the characters have to roll die checks against their skills and abilities.

The Firefly system is nice, straightfoward and simple which lends itself to fast play, so ideal for our n00b group.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Korea

So, do you guys sit around and stay in character the entire time? Like when you say you are arguing about what to do in such a situation are you guys actually arguing? And does the story flow the entire time or so you have to pause to think of what to do in the story? Just curious because it sounds interesting and I don't get it at all.

Tamas

Quote from: Korea on February 20, 2010, 04:43:14 PM
So, do you guys sit around and stay in character the entire time? Like when you say you are arguing about what to do in such a situation are you guys actually arguing? And does the story flow the entire time or so you have to pause to think of what to do in the story? Just curious because it sounds interesting and I don't get it at all.

Err, so you are like a nerdy girl playing computer RPGs and such, and dont actually know how a pen and paper RPG goes?

OMG I am: old

Korea

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2010, 04:48:54 PM

Err, so you are like a nerdy girl playing computer RPGs and such, and dont actually know how a pen and paper RPG goes?

OMG I am: old

And I am young. ^_^

Tamas

Quote from: Korea on February 20, 2010, 05:35:31 PM

And I am young. ^_^

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that nowadays such RPG-geeks exist who haven't tried P&P ones (and in fact, can't really be called RPG-geeks, now to think about it).

Syt

So, do you guys sit around and stay in character the entire time? Like when you say you are arguing about what to do in such a situation are you guys actually arguing?

Most of the time, yes.
QuoteAnd does the story flow the entire time or so you have to pause to think of what to do in the story?

I plan out the plot for the players a session or two in advance, with the overarching plot reaching farther than that, but I know where it's headed. Before the actual session I prepare supplements - NPCs (who I'll play) with some notes, possibly handouts or maps, plot notes to myself. I try to not pause the game. The players will do unexpected stuff, but in our sessions so far I've managed to improvise off of it, or whing it.

The players come from a computer RPG background, and they're only slowly shedding the urge to go find a quest giver or trying to find out where to go to trigger a certain confrontation etc., but we're getting there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2010, 01:54:25 AM

The players come from a computer RPG background, and they're only slowly shedding the urge to go find a quest giver or trying to find out where to go to trigger a certain confrontation etc., but we're getting there.

:D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Yeah, in the first sessions this led to hectic back and forth of one character. I try not to railroad them too much, so I went with it, but some characters became increasingly annoyed when he came by to chat *again*.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

:lol:

Korea

So, do you guys sit around and stay in character the entire time? Like when you say you are arguing about what to do in such a situation are you guys actually arguing?

Most of the time, yes.
QuoteAnd does the story flow the entire time or so you have to pause to think of what to do in the story?

I plan out the plot for the players a session or two in advance, with the overarching plot reaching farther than that, but I know where it's headed. Before the actual session I prepare supplements - NPCs (who I'll play) with some notes, possibly handouts or maps, plot notes to myself. I try to not pause the game. The players will do unexpected stuff, but in our sessions so far I've managed to improvise off of it, or whing it.

Wow, that's really cool. I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to play but I think I'd enjoy watching it!

Korea

Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2010, 05:40:41 PM

And I am young. ^_^

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that nowadays such RPG-geeks exist who haven't tried P&P ones (and in fact, can't really be called RPG-geeks, now to think about it).

I've never called myself an RPG geek (I don't think anyway) It's not my fault the P&P RPG died before I got into them  :P

Korea

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2010, 02:05:24 AM
Yeah, in the first sessions this led to hectic back and forth of one character. I try not to railroad them too much, so I went with it, but some characters became increasingly annoyed when he came by to chat *again*.
:lol: Cool.

katmai

Quote from: Korea on February 21, 2010, 04:12:43 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2010, 05:40:41 PM

And I am young. ^_^

I've never called myself an RPG geek (I don't think anyway) It's not my fault the P&P RPG died before I got into them  :P

God damn kids.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son