Nikki is using the magazine as a sex toy
3 (15%)
Prince is the one who is masturbating with a magazine
0 (0%)
The hotel lobby is masturbating with a magazine
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Savonarola

When I was in junior high Twisted Sister was bad; Motley Crue sang satanic songs like "Shout at the Devil" but worst of all was Prince whose song "Darling Nikki" opened with the lines:

I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess you could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine

That was going to corrupt the youth of America.  Later in life I've found that I'm not entirely sure what Prince meant by those lines; but since Languish knows everything I know who to ask.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

ulmont

Quote from: Savonarola on January 21, 2010, 02:36:51 PM
Later in life I've found that I'm not entirely sure what Prince meant by those lines; but since Languish knows everything I know who to ask.   :)

I think options 1 and 2 are the only fair readings, and I find 2 too impractical to consider (the paper cuts!).

Syt

Quote from: ulmont on January 21, 2010, 02:41:48 PM
I find 2 too impractical to consider (the paper cuts!).

Unless she grinds herself into the pictures or some such (i.e. not rolling it up and shoving it up her hoo-hah).

I went with the literal reading of using it physically. For option 1 the syntax would have to be different (I met her with a magazine - masturbating in a hotel lobby) or the forth line should be "Masturbating holding a magazine" or similar (which would not even affect rhythm).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: ulmont on January 21, 2010, 02:41:48 PM
I think options 1 and 2 are the only fair readings, and I find 2 too impractical to consider (the paper cuts!).

This is well beyond any personal experience I have had; but I imagine she could have minimized the risk of paper cuts by rolling the magazine from the pages towards the binding so as to minimize the amount of exposed pages; or, (given how the rest of the song goes,) she could have been really into paper cuts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Maybe it's an assault rifle magazine or similar? That could work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2010, 03:00:38 PM

Hott.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

I think it's the first option. For evidence, your honour, may I site the lyrics to She Bop performed by Cindi Lauper but written by Prince.

We-hell- I see them every night in tight blue jeans
In the pages of a blue boy magazine
Hey I've been thinking of a new sensation
I'm picking up - good vibration -
Oop - she bop -

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2010, 03:00:38 PM
:lol: WIN.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Josephus on January 21, 2010, 03:34:07 PM
She Bop performed by Cindi Lauper but written by Prince.

You're confusing "She Bop" and "When You Were Mine."  Cyndi Lauper wrote "She Bop."

Josephus

Quote from: ulmont on January 21, 2010, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 21, 2010, 03:34:07 PM
She Bop performed by Cindi Lauper but written by Prince.

You're confusing "She Bop" and "When You Were Mine."  Cyndi Lauper wrote "She Bop."

My God, you're right.  :blush:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I am: unfamiliar with this song.  Princesca was not allowed to listen to it when she was a kid, and I had no desire to since it's by Prince and I'm not currently, nor was I at the time, a homosexual.  :)

sbr

Shouldn't there be a [ghey] tag on thread with lyrics from Prince and Cyndi Lauper songs?

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on January 21, 2010, 03:50:19 PM
I am: unfamiliar with this song.  Princesca was not allowed to listen to it when she was a kid, and I had no desire to since it's by Prince and I'm not currently, nor was I at the time, a homosexual.  :)

Dude, Prince has an amazing catalog.  But, just for you, here's the Foo Fighters' cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INv9vhHSLPM

Caliga

Ok, I admit I am familiar with Little Red Corvette.  :blush:

Eddie Teach

I was introduced to the song through the Foo Fighters version(which I prefer).

It would make more sense if they said "masturbating TO a magazine." Still, had to go with the first option.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?