And we're back!

Main Menu

'Splain to me 1984?

Started by grumbler, January 15, 2010, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
What is it you teach, Grumbler?

English grammar, Experimental ethics (postwar), and DIY computer assembly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fate

Singapore seems like a better 1984 candidate than Cuba.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on January 15, 2010, 09:48:02 AM
In a class I student taught on, the teacher had a "time machine" cabinet full of nostalgic shit from the 70s-90s. Not a single one of them kids understood the "88 MPH" reference on the cabinet door.  :homestar:
Yes. Some of my student workers didn't understand the "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." reference.  Stupid kids.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 15, 2010, 10:07:07 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
What is it you teach, Grumbler?

English grammar, Experimental ethics (postwar), and DIY computer assembly.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

What strikes me about "1984" references is that they're pretty much limited to "1984" and "Big Brother".  It's like no one ever read the book, and just parrots what everyone else says.  It's sort of similar to all the free market advocates being able to reference Adam Smith himself and the butcher with his lack of benevolence, but nothing else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 15, 2010, 10:25:21 AM
Yes. Some of my student workers didn't understand the "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." reference.  Stupid kids.

:unsure:

I always thought that was just a Languish meme.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2010, 12:26:20 PM
What strikes me about "1984" references is that they're pretty much limited to "1984" and "Big Brother".  It's like no one ever read the book, and just parrots what everyone else says.  It's sort of similar to all the free market advocates being able to reference Adam Smith himself and the butcher with his lack of benevolence, but nothing else.

:huh:

Welcome to: Real world.

How many people form opinions and values based on their own research do you figure?

I would wager: Not many.

BuddhaRhubarb

The movie is out of print on NA dvd maybe never on DVD. so yeah hard to find. Can you stream netflix in the class?
:p

crazy canuck

This wont come as a surprise to anyone but the Movie doesnt really capture the complete feeling of helplessness in an authoritarian state that the book provides.  The last scene in the Movie where they see eachother and act with complete indifference is not well explained in the Movie and I think you really have to read the book to fully appreciate what has happened.

Josephus

That's not true at all. I've been known to also say "Doublespeak."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Weird that this thread arrises now, I was just thinking of 1984 last night- in particular the theory that its not a world constantly at war but just a N.Korean nutty Britain (or perhaps even London and its surroundings) which pretends to be part of something bigger.

More relevant to the thread- 1984 is definatly one of the main books that is always referenced but never read. Everyone knows the basics without actually reading it its so part of our culture
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2010, 01:11:22 PM

That's not true at all. I've been known to also say "Doublespeak."

I've used the phrase "Hot for teacher" before.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Lucidor

Sheilbh

I disagree with the thread consensus.  I think 1984 is probably one of the most read books around.  Certainly one of the  'important' novels that are widely read by the mainstream anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!