And we're back!

Main Menu

Ding, Dong! The Wicked Witch is Dead!

Started by CountDeMoney, January 07, 2010, 06:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2010, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2010, 09:25:39 AM
Anyway, examples of this phenomenon include Marion Barry in Washington DC, Kwame Kilpatrick in Detroit, Wilson Goode in Philadelphia, and I think a mayor of Atlanta who I can't quite recall now.

Andrew Young.

Andy Young had no scandals.  You're thinking of Bill Campbell, who went to prison for tax evasion.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2010, 10:32:29 AM
In her case, I don't think it matters as she is a public figure and anyone who would hire in the future could easily determine that she has a criminal history, since one cannot expunge newspaper articles from existence. ;)

:huh: Mighty Xerxes says you can.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

There was also Sharpe James in Newark.  Interestingly enough, the only black mayor of Jersey City is well-regarded, and was opposed to the dominant corrupt political machine.  Then again, maybe if he didn't die in office after a couple of years, he'd be caught for something eventually, pretty much everyone is in Jersey City.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on January 07, 2010, 10:17:39 AM
Yeah, nice pension. I'd think that could be forfeit given her criminal record while on the job? But that may not be possible to revoke, depending on contracts and such. But it still smells.
To a large extent, jury nullification made it impossible to convict her of anything that would have cost her her pension.

QuoteThen having her record wiped cleaned after probation. Is that normal for the rest of us real people, average citizens, taxpayers and workers?  :huh: 
This is part of a plea bargain, remember.  Normal real people, average citizens, taxpayers, and workers have gotten plea bargains like that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Dixon was indicted almost one year ago. Those charges were thrown out for technical reasons, and she was reindicted months later on one set of theft-related charges and a pair of perjury charges. She has said little about the cases against her and did not testify at her three-week trial on the theft charges.
Well, seems the charges were at least serious enough that I'd be surprised her record would be wiped clean. But I guess not, and this kind of deal happens, even for us regular folks,  :bowler:  as you say. Just that I'm a bit surprised at first look.