Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Barrister

Star Wars is already fairly dark and gritty.

Or is as gritty as you're going to get in a movie partially aimed at kids.

Ewoks aside of course.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2010, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2010, 02:13:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 02:02:24 PM
Are you kidding?  They can't remake Star Wars.  That would be an attrocity so great that the new trilogy would pale in comparison.

It would work if they made Han a woman.

That sound was my childhood being raped.

I thought he was supposed to be a 12 foot tall green slug with gills.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 02:43:13 PM

How was it aimed at adults?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2010, 10:27:59 AM
HBO was a favorite for me too when I was playing hooky from school. MY STOMACH HURTS.

Yor, the Hunter from the Future
. Be there or be square.

Italo-Turkish co-productions FTW!

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2010, 04:05:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 02:43:13 PM

I don't think I can answer that.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 04:55:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 04:55:32 PM

I don't think I can answer that.

Princess Leia dressed in her slave outfit appeals to me much more today than it did when I was 10.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 02:39:34 PM
Don't be absurd - they just need to call Ron Moore for the remake - something dark and gritty.  :cool:
I guarantee that any director who would dare to do such a thing would be assassinated within a month of his accepting the job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2010, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: Grallon on January 06, 2010, 02:39:34 PM
Don't be absurd - they just need to call Ron Moore for the remake - something dark and gritty.  :cool:
I guarantee that any director who would dare to do such a thing would be assassinated within a month of his accepting the job.
Agreed.  It seems to me that SW is a very personal universe of its creator, and has the strengths and weaknesses of that fact - much like the B5 or Honor Harrington universes, where outside players seem to have flopped spectacularly. 

Moore seems like one of those people who could actually succeed, if he had the balls to do something creative and not derivative.  Trying to remake things that don't need to be remade seems a mugs game, as Battlestar Galactica proved.  That was actually an okay series (except for maybe the last season or so) that would have been maybe a great series had Moore not started with someone else's ideas and been limited unnecessarily thereby.

You could probably say the same thing about Lynch and Dune.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 06:39:13 PM
I don't know.  I think Lynch's Dune is a wonderful failure precisely because of his creative vision which is distinct from the book (I prefer the film to the book).  The lack of creativity is part of what annoys me about these comic book adaptations.  Film-making and re-making should never be done by fanboys because you don't get a good film that can stand on its own as a film.  Based on his work so far I think Zack Snyder should be banned from being anywhere near a camera, for example.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2010, 06:47:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2010, 06:39:13 PM
I don't know.  I think Lynch's Dune is a wonderful failure precisely because of his creative vision which is distinct from the book (I prefer the film to the book).  The lack of creativity is part of what annoys me about these comic book adaptations.  Film-making and re-making should never be done by fanboys because you don't get a good film that can stand on its own as a film.  Based on his work so far I think Zack Snyder should be banned from being anywhere near a camera, for example.

I don't know about preferring the movie, but I do love Lynch's Dune in it's own right.  It has a wonderful look to it.  I remember watching the Sci Fi miniseries and it was much more accurate to the book, but also much more flat.

Admiral Yi

If Lynch had only kept out those fucking scream guns.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 06:50:57 PM
I don't know about preferring the movie, but I do love Lynch's Dune in it's own right.  It has a wonderful look to it.  I remember watching the Sci Fi miniseries and it was much more accurate to the book, but also much more flat.
I think I prefer the film because I had such low expectations and thought it was a wonderfully interesting failure and had a really interesting vision to it - like I love some Terry Gilliam films that just didn't work, alas.  By contrast I got told by everyone that the book was incredible and was underwhelmed - had I never heard anyone hype it I would have probably enjoyed it more.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Dune the book was pretty ok, not best ever material but ok.
I tried to read the sequel though and it was horrid. Just endless talking about rubbish.
The game now. That was awesome. Its a shame they sold out and made Dune 2 so bleh.

I'd agree on the Dune film having a nice aesthetic. The Harkonen were pretty cool there. Also I'd agree on the series being rather dull; in keepign with the book I suppose but not so fun in its own right
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2010, 06:53:31 PM
I think I prefer the film because I had such low expectations and thought it was a wonderfully interesting failure and had a really interesting vision to it - like I love some Terry Gilliam films that just didn't work, alas.  By contrast I got told by everyone that the book was incredible and was underwhelmed - had I never heard anyone hype it I would have probably enjoyed it more.

I could see that happening.  I think Dune also needs to be viewed through the time it was made - 60s sci fi was becoming rather interesting, but was still the era of, well, Star Trek.  The world presented by Dune was so detailed and alien from our own, which was quite unusual at the time.

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2010, 06:47:24 PM
Based on his work so far I think Zack Snyder should be banned from being anywhere near a camera, for example.

I think he's a fine cinematographer, terrible, terrible director.