News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Excellent job opportunity in Yorkshire

Started by Richard Hakluyt, January 05, 2010, 06:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

"Research Officer - The rise and regulation of lap dancing and the place of sexual labour and consumption in the night time economy
(Job reference: 316199 ) 
Faculty of Education, Social Sciences and Law
School of Sociology and Social Policy
(Full-time, fixed term 12 months from March 2010)

You will work on an ESRC funded study on the rise and regulation of lap dancing and the place of sexual labour and consumption in the night time economy. The post will involve qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis. It is based in Leeds, although some travel to other cities may be necessary.

You will have, or be about to complete, a postgraduate qualification in the social sciences or relevant subject and some appropriate research experience. You will be mainly responsible for access and fieldwork. Good interviewing, communication and organisational skills are essential as is the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Experience of interviewing and conducting surveys is essential, as is prior experience of conducting research in the female sex industry.

It is anticipated that interviews will take place on December 14 2009
Salary: Grade 7 (£29,704 - £35,469 p.a)
The appointment will be made at £31,513 p.a or below since there are funding limitations which dictate the level at which the appointment can start.
Apply using: Application form, CV and Equal Opportunities Monitoring form
Download an application form: (pdf version) | (Word version)
Informal enquiries:
Dr Teela Sanders [email protected]
Send completed applications to:
Anne Prendergast, email [email protected]

or by post to:

Anne Prendergast,
Social Science Building,
The University of Leeds,
LS2 9JT.

Closing date: 27 November 2009
Download File Job description and person specification
Anticipated interview date: 14 December 2009"

http://hr.leeds.ac.uk/jobs/ViewJob.aspx?JId=785&m=all

Amongst the skills required in the job description :

"Good time management skills and the ability to deal with varied tasks and work under pressure. "

"The ability to demonstrate experience and judgement in planning and carrying out the research fieldwork."

"Be comfortable with the nature of the research subject matter, in particular entering lap dancing clubs and similar sexualised environments."

"Availability to travel to the research sites and stay overnight away from home."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

It's lap dances from British women.  :x
I'd rather be waterboarded.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

Richard Hakluyt

Indeed, mainly Eastern Europeans I would say.........er..........not that I have empirical evidence for that.

Martinus

So, who here can claim past experience of conducting research in the female sex industry? :P

Grey Fox

I'd say most of us, just none of us made it in Yorkshire.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 06:24:16 AM
So, who here can claim past experience of conducting research in the female sex industry? :P
Does "was dinner worth a blowjob?" count?

Josquius

I've a background in scientific method (usability evaluation skills could be...useful) and would be willing to move to Yorkshire. Sign me up.

Oh, and, err...
Quote"Availability to travel to the research sites and stay overnight away from home."
:perv:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on January 05, 2010, 07:20:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2010, 06:24:16 AM
Does "was dinner worth a blowjob?" count?

This particular research is more along the lines of whether the blowjob was worth dinner.

Syt

I guess this is one of those jobs that sound fun on paper but turn out to be both boring and tedious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2010, 03:33:35 PM
I guess this is one of those jobs that sound fun on paper but turn out to be both boring and tedious.
They call those 'jobs'.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I am sure they supply lap pads for the researchers who are not in very good shape.

Richard Hakluyt

:huh:

Spot of Germanic gloom there Syt, your job is getting to you.

OTOH, I think it's fairly clear that the job will go to a non-lesbian female feminist who won't enjoy it all  :(