Yes
18 (78.3%)
No
19 (82.6%)

Total Members Voted: 23

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2009, 07:34:40 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2009, 07:08:11 AM
If they make homophobia and sexuality part of their public persona then I think that the public have a right to know if they're actually indulging in private.  If that isn't part of the way they behave or are in public then there's no public interest.
I disagree utterly.  Whatever they make part of their "public persona," the public has no right to intrude into their private life.  Hell, they could support welfare and I still wouldn't think it right that they be revealed as wargamers!
:yes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on April 03, 2009, 07:39:56 AM
I actually think it should be public in both cases. If you want to represent the people of a state, district, whatever, why should you get to keep something private that would affect how a significant number of people would vote?
The argument that there should be no privacy (which is really what this is, as no one can say what would "affect how people would vote") is absurd.  If people would change their vote based on legal behavior that the candidate indulges in privately, those people deserve to have their votes cast invalidly, as they are morons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2009, 06:34:52 AM
Anyway, my take on involuntary outings of politicians and other public figures is this: as long as the person in question is not trying to build a political or personal popularity on an explicitly anti-gay agenda, then their personal life is their own business and noone else's.

It is a pity having an explicitly anti-gay agenda on it's own is not all it takes to discredit a politician.

Anyway I find it funny he circulates a video of him making out with somebody else's wife to exonerate himself of being gay.  Because, you know, that would be immoral.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Personally, I think dating Katherine Harris is what pushed Crist over the edge.

QuoteBack then they were just a couple of 30-somethings - unattached, attractive, snappily dressed and not yet on their way to political stardom. But what a couple: Harris and Charlie Crist.
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/21/State/Harris_challenger_s_d.shtml