And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: Habbaku on April 11, 2010, 02:20:15 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 11, 2010, 02:10:42 PM
Landing my ossum 11k troops from England wouldn't have helped you whatsoever, they would have evaporated the second some French taunted them a second time.

Yeah, you would've been destroyed if you had landed anywhere except Portugal.  I had an army ~25k strong (and growing) with a decent general roaming around mopping up my rebels at all times.  The moment the English descended upon France, they'd have been utterly smashed.

In other news, it's amusing to me that Spain didn't simply wait for the deal I made with him for the neutrality to go through before he declared war.  Now he gets nothing...

'Deal' was over a century old if not older.  And you've proven yourself to be the hegemon that you accused Austria of being....  Was hoping the Western countries would get a few colonies out of you to balance out the production high Walloon provinces.  Gotta maintain a semblance of a BOP, which we failed to do.   :bowler:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Alcibiades

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2010, 02:22:48 PM
How in the hell do you guys manage to increase your income by such insane amounts every session?

Now I hate Habs even more for refusing to sell me Taiwan.

Taiwan is exceedingly rich.....  He beat me to it. :'(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

Habbaku

My analysis :

Ottomans : A basket case that needs reforming and needs to get into an aggressive war with someone big so that they can take a swath of territory.  I'm not saying that Austria's viable or anything, but...

Russia : Ditto, though they need to finish Siberia up first.

Austria : Needs to fix its economy and get its army back to proper standing--something that's going to be incredibly hard with the HRE reform he passed a while back.  Of course, Austria still has the strongest land forces, despite French wealth and leadership.  If he can fix the leadership issue, France will be back to stalemating him (which almost happened in the war anyway).

Spain : Probably unstoppable at sea at this time unless Britain and Portugal or Britain and France ally with one-another.  Of course, they're rather incredibly technologically backwards, so who knows?  Their army needs extensive work, to say the least.  Their manpower is low, but not pathetic like Portugal or Britain.

Portugal : Needs to ally itself with either Britain, Spain or France and stay glued to them if they expect to expand further.  They can't go it alone at this point (they had their chance earlier) and Russia is making noises about war over Siberia.

Britain : Perpetually safe with no major enemies and nothing at all threatening them.  Once they get their economy "working" again, they'll be able to do whatever they please.  The fact that they most of India is a giant boon in their favor.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

How does Spain have twice the income of my Spain in another game, in roughly the same time period, without holding nearly as much territory everywhere?  Am I that terrible?

Habbaku

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 11, 2010, 02:24:45 PM
'Deal' was over a century old if not older.  And you've proven yourself to be the hegemon that you accused Austria of being....  Was hoping the Western countries would get a few colonies out of you to balance out the production high Walloon provinces.  Gotta maintain a semblance of a BOP, which we failed to do.   :bowler:

Yes, beating Austria after four years of warfare and only barely winning it while incurring 23% war exhaustion and losing four colonies = ...French hegemony?  Yeah, okay.

As I said, the deal was made and I fully expected to honor it.  You, on the other hand, clearly don't want to abide by it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2010, 02:27:13 PM
How does Spain have twice the income of my Spain in another game, in roughly the same time period, without holding nearly as much territory everywhere?  Am I that terrible?

Yes.  Better NIs + national decisions is what you need.  That and constables, etc. in every province.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

It wasn't like that.  Had you not been 23% war exhausted you would have likely annexed mexico from me.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to keep you having a marked edge over Austria and the rest of us.  I mean you lost some colonies to England, but undoubtedly for an agreement at a later time. 

I'm not concerned about the two provinces I may have gained, much more concerned about an incredibly strong France controlled by just as efficiently of a player.

Habbaku

Your post exhibits precisely what paranoia looks like.  You keep expecting me to declare war on you and, in so doing, create the very circumstances that will bring me to do so at a later date.

Do you really think that I can even get to Mexico?  Do you not know the capabilities of your own navy?  My navy is half your size and can't win a stand-up fight, much less transfer a large-enough army to fight a war across the seas.

I am not interested in taking any mainland territory from you or, for that matter, any territory at all.  I stand to gain far more with a friendship with Spain than I do from any war.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

Alcibiades

Well, either way it was still a fun game-day and I'm glad we were finally able to break the monotony of constant peace.   :)

Habbaku

:lol:  Only because you finally stood down from guaranteeing the Austrians.

I do agree, though, it was quite fun.  I essentially "lost" the session, but had fun doing it all the same.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

LOL, Habs "lost" the session. That is funny.

When war #2 started, Tamas was kind enough to tell me that if I went in against France, he would abrogate our agreement and go to war with me, because it was in his interest to make sure France was not "weak".

Good thing you have the Ottomans looking out for you...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

:lol:  Oh noes, the Russian army.  Scary.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I am cuious about something.

When I DOWed Portugal, they said they would give up both provinces in Siberia - a sensible position.

However, Spain talked them out of it - I know this because you guys fail at signals security, and I was on the chat list while you were talking.

However, shortly after that, both England and Spain took WP to get out of the war, leaving just Portugal.

So - why talk Portugal into staying in the fight if you were just going to bail anyway?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned