News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on February 20, 2010, 03:35:29 AM
Before anyone agrees to his "conditions", I just wanted to point out some earlier posts:

That Tams is a a tricksy hobbit!

Does he abide by ANY agreements he has made?

It's pretty rare that people can get ahead by NOT honoring an agreement (most of the time agreements are made so both sides benefit from honoring them), so pointing out that you only lie occasionally doesn't really absolve you of anything, tricksy hobbit.

What exactly do posts of Berkut have to do with Tamas's diplomacy?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

He is untrustworthy and will lie in order to take another crack at Vienna. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Kleves

Austria will make no promises, and accept no conditions. We are all well aware of how that worked out last time. With that said, Austria has no plans to attack a vassalized Hungary.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 11:44:59 AM
With that said, Austria has no plans to attack a vassalized Hungary.

Well of course not as it will be your vassal. :rolleyes:

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 11:44:59 AM
Austria will make no promises, and accept no conditions. We are all well aware of how that worked out last time. With that said, Austria has no plans to attack a vassalized Hungary.

To expect me to secede a third of my country with nothing in return is ridicoulous. Hungary remains under my direct control.

And as for the future, I have no plans in Europe, but I will not be an Austrian lapdog either. Any agression against my Empire will be very costly for the Ausrians.

Kleves

You have admitted that Hungary is worthless to you, and yet you want ironclad protection for releasing it. Given your propensity to break your treaties if they become even slightly inconvenient to you, I will not be giving you my word in exchange for your "worthless" sacrifice.

Now, with that said, releasing Hungary would remove Austria's main grievance against the Ottoman Empire, and greatly ease our strained relations.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 01:18:57 PM
You have admitted that Hungary is worthless to you, and yet you want ironclad protection for releasing it. Given your propensity to break your treaties if they become even slightly inconvenient to you, I will not be giving you my word in exchange for your "worthless" sacrifice.

Now, with that said, releasing Hungary would remove Austria's main grievance against the Ottoman Empire, and greatly ease our strained relations.

Yes but unless I get international guarantees, releasing Hungary equals giving it to you. So I am not pulling you on my neck even more just because you ask me to.

Kleves

How does releasing Hungary equal giving it to me? Is it even possible to RM someone else's vassals? Regardless, the current situation is intolerable to the Kaiser. The Sultan can either release Hungary, and continue to benefit from its vassalage or... not.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 01:48:17 PM
How does releasing Hungary equal giving it to me? Is it even possible to RM someone else's vassals? Regardless, the current situation is intolerable to the Kaiser. The Sultan can either release Hungary, and continue to benefit from its vassalage or... not.

You don't get it. You are not offering anything to me. If I release Hungary and you decide to come agaisnt me (us) you will be much faster at my gates thanks to that weakling Hungary. If I dont get international guarantees about Hungary's status, I am much safer just keeping it and weathering out the storm you may bring.

Let's make a deal here, and don't dictate stuff to me.

Kleves

You don't get it. I cannot trust you. We had a deal, and I followed it to the letter. You broke it in an attempt to draw me into a war which I would lose. When I still did not take the bait, you invaded Austria with France. I can make no deal with you, because I cannot trust you to honor it.

The deal is this: release Hungary, and Austria has no reason to fight you. This would restore my trust in the Sultan. Honestly, I am no more or less likely to attack a vassalized Hungary than I am an Ottoman-controlled Hungary.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 05:14:53 PM
You don't get it. I cannot trust you. We had a deal, and I followed it to the letter. You broke it in an attempt to draw me into a war which I would lose. When I still did not take the bait, you invaded Austria with France. I can make no deal with you, because I cannot trust you to honor it.

The deal is this: release Hungary, and Austria has no reason to fight you. This would restore my trust in the Sultan. Honestly, I am no more or less likely to attack a vassalized Hungary than I am an Ottoman-controlled Hungary.

We will have to wait for Habbaku as well but I dont see why a "demilitarized" Hungary is bad for you. If I get a guarantee on this by France and Spain, I'll agree to not station troops in Hungary unless a rebellion must be put down which would threaten regime change. That way, you would know I am about to double cross you the moment I pop up next you on Hungarian territory.

katmai

ulmont

Quote from: Kleves on February 20, 2010, 05:14:53 PMHonestly, I am no more or less likely to attack a vassalized Hungary than I am an Ottoman-controlled Hungary.

I can't see how this statement could possibly induce Tamas to release Hungary.

Habbaku

Sorry, guys, but I'm not going to be able to play tomorrow (today) and I wasn't able to swing a substitute, either.  Though I'd prefer we just skip the week and get back to normal the next, I understand if you want to play the session without me and just leave France AI for the round.

Of course, if someone wants to sub, please feel free.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

I'd rather skip a week than go ai france :o