I hate damn extra paid content.

But...it's free...

Quotethe company plans continued DLC after the game's launch
:frusty:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

They made an absolute mint on Dragon Age DLC.  You have noone to blame but yourselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

I don't mind the DLC when they come a few months down the road, they're like mini expansion pack.
DLC wich you pay for at release, I don't really like, but many games have collector's edition of their package wich gives you extra maps, units, and such, so I don't see the diff here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on January 21, 2010, 09:34:42 AM
They made an absolute mint on Dragon Age DLC.  You have noone to blame but yourselves.
what are you doing at Bioware again?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

If they commit the resources to making more content for a game I enjoy why shouldn't I pay for it if I want it?  I mean it is pretty easy calculus to me.  Warden's Keep in DAO was hardly essential to the game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2010, 09:13:43 AM

If they commit the resources to making more content for a game I enjoy why shouldn't I pay for it if I want it?  I mean it is pretty easy calculus to me.  Warden's Keep in DAO was hardly essential to the game.

When said DLC is available at launch, it feels to me like they're gypping me.

It's not a case of "we used more time to develop content for a game when we learned that people wanted it" but rather "we intentionally left parts out and relabeled them DLC".

Of course, it's entirely reasonable. It's not like they're selling the car without wheels.

Still, with a payment scheme like this I expect to pay less for the initial product aswell.

Barrister

Sad but true.

On a related note I was rather frustrated at the fairly byzantine combinations of pre-order bonuses for Star Trek Online, I wondered why they did that.  But when I heard of numerous people (Katmai) buying multiple copies of the same game just to get different pre-order goodies, I had my answer...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2010, 04:13:31 PM

Sad but true.

On a related note I was rather frustrated at the fairly byzantine combinations of pre-order bonuses for Star Trek Online, I wondered why they did that.  But when I heard of numerous people (Katmai) buying multiple copies of the same game just to get different pre-order goodies, I had my answer...

You shouldn't make fun of people's weight.

Scipio

Naturally, I pre-ordered the deluxe steam ed as soon as it was announced.  Hells yeah, bitches!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Fate

Mass Effect 2 has been on torrent sites for the past week but you have to wait until the 26th to download from Steam.

Bioware is incompetent.  :rolleyes:

Fate

Quote from: Slargos on January 22, 2010, 02:34:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2010, 09:13:43 AM

When said DLC is available at launch, it feels to me like they're gypping me.

It's not a case of "we used more time to develop content for a game when we learned that people wanted it" but rather "we intentionally left parts out and relabeled them DLC".

Of course, it's entirely reasonable. It's not like they're selling the car without wheels.

Still, with a payment scheme like this I expect to pay less for the initial product aswell.

I think it's part of a larger anti piracy scheme. Leave some substantial piece of the game not on the installation DVD, require user registration online and validation to obtain it, and then you'll have less kiddies turning to piracy.

Slargos

Quote from: Fate on January 23, 2010, 11:51:00 PM

I think it's part of a larger anti piracy scheme. Leave some substantial piece of the game not on the installation DVD, require user registration online and validation to obtain it, and then you'll have less kiddies turning to piracy.

A reasonable assumption, but it certainly doesn't work. DLC is available on the pirated versions aswell.

katmai

Quote from: Slargos on January 24, 2010, 05:32:27 AM

A reasonable assumption, but it certainly doesn't work. DLC is available on the pirated versions aswell.

And you would know this how?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DisturbedPervert

It is part of the anti piracy scheme, but for Dragon Age it was far from substantial.  The included DLC was one character and a 25 minute dungeon.  While a new character is nice I never used it, the new area was totally worthless and I can't imagine someone paying $15 for the whole package.

In general my main complaint with DLC is that it tends to be lame as hell and aimed at console users.  All the items in the Dragon Age DLC, as well as anything you can think of, can be made for free in the editor on the PC, but of course console players don't have that so they will happily shell out $10 for a couple new swords and a new hat.  Some companies also remove features from games that PC games have always have in order to sell crap DLC like they do to console gamers, like with Modern Warfare 2.  Not all are like this, I've heard the Fallout 3 DLC was pretty substantial.