Republicans for Obama and the Future of the GOP?

Started by Faeelin, April 02, 2009, 12:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

A thought, inspired by lunch with a professor and my boss for the summer.

He's a great guy, and worked under the first Bush at the EPA. He's an environmental lawyer, but certainly not a hardcore environmentalist loonie.  In 2008, he was won of several other former Republicans who campaigned for the Obama campaign, and was talking about how he feels like the party has become so anti-intellectual and ideological that he can't imagine voting for them.

I get the impression this is true for several posters on the board; Berkut voted for Obama despite his dislike of the man, for instance, although I'm sure he would vote for a Republican again if they can ever find a good one.  And Fahdiz reminisces for Goldwater to this day, although the GOP would probably call him too liberal today.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I'm curious about people's thoughts on it.

Valmy

I have great sympathy with the Republican party theoretically on economic issues and the idea of a limited Federal Government.

However it seems they are abandoning those principals in favor of raw populism combined with kissing up to the religious fundamentalists and their ideas.  I would gladly support the Republicans if they ever shed one or both of those movements.

I am not exactly a huge fan of the Democrats but at least I agree with their left wing social policies even if I find almost everything else about the party distressing.  That is why I am hoping the Blue Dogs become a political force worth something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 12:22:12 PM
I have great sympathy with the Republican party theoretically on economic issues and the idea of a limited Federal Government.

However it seems they are abandoning those principals in favor of raw populism combined with kissing up to the religious fundamentalists and their ideas.  I would gladly support the Republicans if they ever shed one or both of those movements.

I am not exactly a huge fan of the Democrats but at least I agree with their left wing social policies even if I find almost everything else about the party distressing.  That is why I am hoping the Blue Dogs become a political force worth something.

I agree with this post 100%.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I second this.  I'm wary of Democrats on many issues, but I can't even consider embracing a party that is so militant and renounces reason.  The only exception are the Northeastern RINOs, who are often much more sensible that their Democratic counterparts, but even they disqualify themselves in national races due to strong party discipline among Republicans.

Sheilbh

Have the Republicans been punished because they were incompetent and in power a bit too long, or is it really ideological?

QuoteThat is why I am hoping the Blue Dogs become a political force worth something.
Would they sacrifice economic or social policies, do you think? 
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

It pains me to see the party of Lincoln so discredited this way, but they have only themselves to blame.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 12:28:23 PM
Would they sacrifice economic or social policies, do you think? 

Well they tend to bend on both (but usually the same blue dog will lean right either socially or economically but rarely both) but I find them more reasonable in general.  Alot of them are big gun supporters for example, which in my mind is an issue I am willing to let go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Faeelin on April 02, 2009, 12:17:36 PM
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I'm curious about people's thoughts on it.

You follow the forum pretty sporadically, don't you. Bitching and moaning about wishing the GOP was more centrist/libertarian/old school Rockefeller/Goldwater is quite commonplace here.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Fate

Blue dogs are the worst of both worlds - creationists that want to spend lots of money on the federal government.  :P

Faeelin

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 02, 2009, 12:35:09 PM
You follow the forum pretty sporadically, don't you. Bitching and moaning about wishing the GOP was more centrist/libertarian/old school Rockefeller/Goldwater is quite commonplace here.

I follow it enough to know who bitches about it. I'm more interested not so much in the bitching as what it will do to the party in the long run.

Fate

Quote from: Faeelin on April 02, 2009, 12:36:23 PM

I follow it enough to know who bitches about it. I'm more interested not so much in the bitching as what it will do to the party in the long run.
Steele for President, baby. (God willing!)

Vince

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2009, 12:22:12 PM

I suspect that when the GOP does retake power all references to Limited Federal Government will go out the window.  Currently it just feels like they're doing nothing but falling back on the "Tax Cut" card ad infinitum with no new ideas. 

Vince

Quote from: Faeelin on April 02, 2009, 12:17:36 PM

:worthy: 

I look forward to the day Rockefeller Republicans retake the GOP.

DisturbedPervert

Faeelin

Quote from: Vince on April 02, 2009, 12:39:16 PM
I look forward to the day Rockefeller Republicans retake the GOP.

Which are left?