Republicans for Obama and the Future of the GOP?

Started by Faeelin, April 02, 2009, 12:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 02:31:42 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 02, 2009, 12:40:30 PM
Republicans for Obama should be drowned.

Only if we drown the Log Cabin Republicans, too.
One class at a time, there is only so much water.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2009, 02:02:52 PMIn modern day, the Left has pretty much abandoned its visceral hatred of the Man - at least as far as the mainstream is concerned. Sure, it is mistrustful of the Man, but it does not seek to destroy him. The Right however, is much more vicious in its hatred of the Other.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "modern day", but assuming you're talking about Western conservatives of the present and past decade or so, I'm pretty sure the Right is not more vicious of its hatred of "the Other" than it used to be.  I'm not aware of any conservatives who want to put gays into death camps and/or send Einsatzgruppen driving through the streets of San Francisco.

I know you're going to counter with Fred Phelps, too, but we both know he represents a tiny, insane minority :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

Obama is more centrist than many assume, and so some of the "left" is going to hive off and try to find water in the wilderness. this will make the Dem party more attractive to some defecting GOP'ers.
humans were created in their own image

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2009, 02:16:31 PM
I don't get the Rockefeller love.  He (and the other Rockefeller Republican who preceded him) led NYC into bankruptcy.
NYC is a basket case.  I don't see how it can ever sustain itself if the Wall Street tit runs dry.  Besides, Rockefeller wasn't even a mayor of NYC.

KRonn

So far, I'm thinking that many Repubs and a lot of Independents for Obama/Dems are having serious second thoughts. Seems even many Dems are concerned over policy directions and budgets, spending, which are the Dems venue right now. But we'll see how things look in a few months; maybe I'm wrong. Not that the Repubs have a lot of credibility, just really means many of us are pretty annoyed at both parties and don't see much relief on the horizon.

Berkut

Could Obama have been elected if he honestly said prior to the election what he was going to do?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 02:49:20 PM
Could Obama have been elected if he honestly said prior to the election what he was going to do?

In what sense?

I admit I am curious what people think McCain would be doing right now. Significantly more tax cuts, but he couldn't push too hard since the Dems control Congress. The Bailout plan? Something like it, I imagine. GM seems to be being pushed into bankruptcy, so I don't see a real change.

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on April 02, 2009, 03:03:30 PM

In what sense?

I admit I am curious what people think McCain would be doing right now. Significantly more tax cuts, but he couldn't push too hard since the Dems control Congress. The Bailout plan? Something like it, I imagine. GM seems to be being pushed into bankruptcy, so I don't see a real change.

Just a crazy guess, but he would not have championed a spending bill that included 9000 earmarks and was basically just a massive liberal spending orgy under the guise of "stimulus". Seems unlikely.

Perhaps McCain would have done something worse, and not had any kind of stimulus. Who knows.

0 rows returned

Savonarola

He couldn't have won the Democrat primary if he said he was going to follow Bush's plan in Iraq.  Is that what you mean?  Otherwise I don't think Obama's done anything all that differently than what he pledged; at least nothing that would have stopped him from beating McCain.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:07:31 PM
Just a crazy guess, but he would not have championed a spending bill that included 9000 earmarks and was basically just a massive liberal spending orgy under the guise of "stimulus". Seems unlikely.

Perhaps McCain would have done something worse, and not had any kind of stimulus. Who knows.

Why would President McCain have not had a stimulus, when the Republicans tried to propose their own version, based on tax cuts for all!

Savonarola

Quote from: Berkut link=topic=332.msg12272#msg12272

He promised to spend money irresponsibly and he delivered.  :thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't think that knowing the specifics of the stimulus bill would have kept Obama out of office.  Congress's approval rating actually went up after they passed it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on April 02, 2009, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 03:07:31 PM

Why would President McCain have not had a stimulus, when the Republicans tried to propose their own version, based on tax cuts for all!

He would have had a stimulus, who said otherwise?

Besides, the issue is not what McCain would do, it is what Obama has done.

Whatever McCain would do, it is safe to say it would not be writing a blank check to Pelosi/reed and telling them to go nuts while giving the opposition party the finger.

0 rows returned

katmai

It's good to know Berkut can fall back on a career as a comedian if his other job is ever trimmed.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2009, 03:12:45 PM
He promised to spend money irresponsibly and he delivered.  :thumbsup:

:lol: Truth in politics fails again.

Well stimulating the economy was what needed to be done.  He shall be judged by how it turns out, pretty simple.  Of course economics is so complex who is to know if the stimuli really did anything even if the economy does turn around or is to at fault if it does not?  That is why politics is unfair I suppose.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on April 02, 2009, 03:20:15 PM
It's good to know Berkut can fall back on a career as a comedian if his other job is ever trimmed.

I don't know.  Last time he just fell back on the Government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017