News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Innumeracy

Started by jimmy olsen, December 30, 2009, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It is indeed the Rock Em Sock Em Robots.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2009, 09:40:53 PM
It is indeed the Rock Em Sock Em Robots.

To symbolically represent the ethos of bellicose pugilism that Languish prides itself upon?   :D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 30, 2009, 09:49:59 PM
To symbolically represent the ethos of bellicose pugilism that Languish prides itself upon?   :D
Correct again.

katmai

you give Mutton too much credit Mihali.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Yeah, he just picked his favorite toy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I had a set of those when I was a kid.  Curiously we called "Fightin' Yis"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2009, 11:20:53 PM
I had a set of those when I was a kid.  Curiously we called "Fightin' Yis"

:lol:

Raz.  You're funny.  Keep up the good work.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 30, 2009, 08:47:34 PM
It's not political, it just grates on the ears, nay, grates on the soul to hear such a horrific concoction.
Then I am switching to "maths" immediately.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: sbr on December 30, 2009, 12:30:52 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 30, 2009, 11:44:46 AM
Seeing it as more than one thing is part of the problem.

A more serious problem in the US, I think, is the culturally accepted preconceived notion that math is hard and it's ok to not get it.

My daughter in high school does that.  She just "doesn't get" algebra, and can't understand why I won't accept that as an answer.  She is a smart kid, gets mostly A's with some B's mixed in but seems to think that not getting it is the end.  Any attempts by me to explain or help her find the answers to her questions is a waste of time.

Spoken like two people who "get" math.  <_<

I have struggled my whole life with math(s) because it is not an easy concept for me. I can do Algebra, Geography, and various types of Business math(s), but I seriously struggled with it. In fact, the math(s) class I took last year had me in tears numerous times because no matter how hard I tried to understand why something was what it was, I just couldn't get it.

Part of it, for me at least, is that I have to understand why something is what it is. Just saying, "Well, use this formula and it will work," doesn't cut it for me. I need to know why that formula works so that I can remember it and apply it for other things.

This isn't a logic vs. literature thing, either. My logic scores tend to be my highest on any standardized tests, while my math scores are my lowest.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 10:56:24 AM

A more serious problem in the US, I think, is the culturally accepted preconceived notion that math is hard and it's ok to not get it.

My daughter in high school does that.  She just "doesn't get" algebra, and can't understand why I won't accept that as an answer.  She is a smart kid, gets mostly A's with some B's mixed in but seems to think that not getting it is the end.  Any attempts by me to explain or help her find the answers to her questions is a waste of time.

I have struggled my whole life with math(s) because it is not an easy concept for me. I can do Algebra, Geography, and various types of Business math(s), but I seriously struggled with it. In fact, the math(s) class I took last year had me in tears numerous times because no matter how hard I tried to understand why something was what it was, I just couldn't get it.

Part of it, for me at least, is that I have to understand why something is what it is. Just saying, "Well, use this formula and it will work," doesn't cut it for me. I need to know why that formula works so that I can remember it and apply it for other things.

This isn't a logic vs. literature thing, either. My logic scores tend to be my highest on any standardized tests, while my math scores are my lowest.

Well, yeah, the key to algebra and geometry (the gateways to higher math) is understanding the concepts and why a formula works.  Plugging the numbers in and solving a formula is just basic arithmatic.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on December 31, 2009, 11:06:01 AM

Well, yeah, the key to algebra and geometry (the gateways to higher math) is understanding the concepts and why a formula works.  Plugging the numbers in and solving a formula is just basic arithmatic.

And Trigonometry is all theory, which has no basis in real-world applications, so it's much more difficult to grasp if you need that. Once you get past Geometry, math is an entirely different beast. I was tutoring Geometry as a freshmen to juniors and seniors. I dropped out of Trigonometry. Part of that was the teacher's attitude - "I don't understand why you can't get this. It's not that hard. If you can't, then maybe this just isn't the right tract for you." - and part of that was not understanding how to apply Trigonometry to real-world situations.

Max is right in that the culture accepts failure at math as "okay", which is a problem. However, to me, the greater problem is the lack of adaptability by teachers to work with those who don't just "get" it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 10:56:24 AM

I get math, but that wasn't quite my point.  She seems to think that "not getting" it allows her to not put any more effort into than she wants.  I would rather see her in tears because she is trying so hard, as opposed to just giving up.

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on December 31, 2009, 11:17:07 AM
And Trigonometry is all theory, which has no basis in real-world applications

:bleeding:

QuoteFields which make use of trigonometry or trigonometric functions include astronomy (especially, for locating the apparent positions of celestial objects, in which spherical trigonometry is essential) and hence navigation (on the oceans, in aircraft, and in space), music theory, acoustics, optics, analysis of financial markets, electronics, probability theory, statistics, biology, medical imaging (CAT scans and ultrasound), pharmacy, chemistry, number theory (and hence cryptology), seismology, meteorology, oceanography, many physical sciences, land surveying and geodesy, architecture, phonetics, economics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, computer graphics, cartography, crystallography and game development.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uses_of_trigonometry

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017