Frogs! What do the black silhouettes by the roadside in southern France mean?

Started by Gambrinus, April 03, 2009, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambrinus

Last time we went to Provence we noticed on our way down from Paris that there stood black silhouettes by the roadside on smaller roads, sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs. They had a red line trickling down the head (not unlike :bleeding: ) and numbers on them that might indicate age. We never had the opportunity to inspect them closer but guessed it was some traffic-safety thingamajig. Representing people who had died there. Is that assumption correct?

Grallon

Quote from: Gambrinus on April 03, 2009, 11:27:19 AM
Last time we went to Provence we noticed on our way down from Paris that there stood black silhouettes by the roadside on smaller roads, sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs. They had a red line trickling down the head (not unlike :bleeding: ) and numbers on them that might indicate age. We never had the opportunity to inspect them closer but guessed it was some traffic-safety thingamajig. Representing people who had died there. Is that assumption correct?

Druedain or Woses.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Malthus

It's when they are drawn on the door of a tractor trailer that you have to worry.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: chipwich on April 03, 2009, 11:39:48 AM
Templar ley-line manipulators.

When the RIFTS open at least someone will be left to defend Europe against the Gargoyle hordes.
PDH!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gambrinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 03:02:14 PM
Why would they have silhouettes of frogs by the roadside?   :huh:
They're French, don't ask me, I've seen giant tortoises there too.

Thanks for the confirmation Sask.

Siege

Quote from: Gambrinus on April 03, 2009, 11:27:19 AM

Probably for target practice.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

saskganesh

Quote from: Gambrinus on April 03, 2009, 05:32:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 03:02:14 PM
Why would they have silhouettes of frogs by the roadside?   :huh:
They're French, don't ask me, I've seen giant tortoises there too.

Thanks for the confirmation Sask.
nice change from the white crosses you sometimes see in NA. which is stupid, because they are not martyrs, and they are not redeemed, especially if they are guilty of manslaughter.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

Quote from: saskganesh on April 03, 2009, 09:58:16 PMnice change from the white crosses you sometimes see in NA. which is stupid, because they are not martyrs, and they are not redeemed, especially if they are guilty of manslaughter.

I hate the roadside memorials because it seems they are likely to cause additional fatalities, given their typical location along major interstates.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points