Terror attack foiled on Northwest Airlines flight

Started by Weatherman, December 25, 2009, 06:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 02:14:49 PM
For the record, I am not claiming that increased security measures are "no big deal", I am saying from what I can tell the annoyance is grossly exaggerated in most cases. Certainly it does not come close to rising to "OMG TEH Terrorists ahve won if we cannot have more than 100ml of gel on the plane!".

No, the terrorists do not care about how annoyed airline passengers are - their goal is not to make people reduce their flying to the states by .05% due to emo-rage over idiotic security measures.

The problem is that these measures do little, if anything, to actually increase security. It's more pointless rules to cover the fact that this guy should have been stopped before he got on the plane, and that his explosives should have been detected then. Security was asleep, and this is pointless CYA shit that will have little effect. It's like instituting strip searches before you're allowed to approach the teller at the bank.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2009, 06:33:43 PM
No shit.

"What? I can't take my shampoo, conditioner and pomade with me?  I have to buy it at my destination?  At a Walgreen's, just like one at home?  The Terrorists have won!  Paul Mitchell has lost!"
You're going to get kicked out of the metrosexual union.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2009, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 12:24:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 28, 2009, 12:05:11 PM
It's never been that easy to take down an aircraft, which is why these security measures are a band-aid solution that make flying a pain in the arse.

You can only have liquid in 100 ml bottles...but you can have ten of those if you want. Seriously. WTF?

Even before 9/11 planes weren't falling out of the sky everyday. I fly fairly frequently, and, trust me, it's becoming a pain in the ass, and each time some nutbar tries to do something, they ramp the security a notch until in a decade or so we're all gonna have to fly naked.

So your big bitch is that you can't have liquids in bottles of more than 100ml?

That seems pretty trivial to me.

No shit.

"What? I can't take my shampoo, conditioner and pomade with me?  I have to buy it at my destination?  At a Walgreen's, just like one at home?  The Terrorists have won!  Paul Mitchell has lost!"

What the fuck? I need my face moisturized ON the plane ffs.

CountDeMoney

So, in summation: The guy--

1. paid cash;
2. for a one-way ticket;
3. on an international flight;
4. to Detroit, the main hub for the Disneyland of the American Islamic community, Dearborn MI:
5. after his father called the US Embassy in Lagos directly less than a month before about his son's recent militantism.

In short, the ball was dropped, primarily overseas.  If these flags don't go red, then it doesn't matter how many people don't get to bring their bottles of Head & Shoulders with them.

Martinus

you forgot he was a Muslim, a student, in early 20s, single and was on a database for having AQ links. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2009, 06:52:58 PM
you forgot he was a Muslim, a student, in early 20s, single and was on a database for having AQ links. :P

Well, yeah.  The TIDE list and his demographics is assumed.

MadImmortalMan

The thing that really bothers me is that we have international flights into the US coming in to Detroit. I mean, WTF kind of message is that gonna send to foreigners anyway? They're gonna get here and think OMG America SUXXX!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 28, 2009, 07:20:53 PM
The thing that really bothers me is that we have international flights into the US coming in to Detroit. I mean, WTF kind of message is that gonna send to foreigners anyway? They're gonna get here and think OMG America SUXXX!
I think all flights should land at Detroit.  That way, third-world scum will feel at home.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

All foreigners should be held in camps until they are checked/gassed/violated.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2009, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2009, 06:52:58 PM

Well, yeah.  The TIDE list and his demographics is assumed.
You're just mean spirited!!   :cool:

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 28, 2009, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 12:57:21 PM

And even with that cost, the price of an airline ticket has not appreciably risen as a result. It *has* risen some, but not enough to make air travel any less desirable for most people.

I fly free sometimes. Yet it still has become less desirable.  It's got nothing to do with costs.

Uh-huh. I am sure not being able to have 110ml bottle of hair gel is just killing you.

Look...I've got very thick hair, OK, and it gets very dry on transatlantic flights.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 02:33:37 PM
Yep - plenty of the measures seem pretty silly. I just don't buy into  the hysteria that silly measures == ZOMG TEH TERRORISTS ARE WINNING!!!!
It's not that the terrorists are winning it's just that at some point the theatre of security ceases to be worth it.  I think turning off the map (seriously I love that thing) is that point.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 28, 2009, 07:20:53 PM

But... we already think that so what's the problem?  :huh:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Let's just hope that the next lunatic will not try to smuggle the explosives by attaching it to his balls.