What the hell were the last two decades?

Started by Josquius, December 24, 2009, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm watching some naff summary of the noughties programme on TV right now (yeah, not much on) and its really hitting me how unmemorable the past decade has been.

In people's mind clear images of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s exist.
The 80s are all tackyness and shoulder pads. Yuppies. New wave. Perms.
70s are all sparkly and discoy. Long hair and flairs. (with some punk on the side)
The 60s were swinging. A very distinctive fashion. And the Beatles and all that sort of music.
The 50s were teddy boys and Elvis and all that sort of thing.
Thats just a quick summary by me, of course there's more than that but I'm sure you'd agree that there is definatly a image for those decades- the 70s and 60s at least, the 80s most likely too with the 50s being the only borderline one (they were sort of a lead in to the 60s and were too busy with the emergence of youth culture to have a well developed pop culture).

But the 90s?
,...err....yeah.
What were the 90s?
We had rave but they hardly defined the entire decade. Not even a year or two.
Britpop dominated music in the mid 90s but fashion wise there wasn't much special and distinctive there.
I guess lad culture could be seen as one specially 90s thing but.... its not much.

The 00s were even worse.
I can't think of any defining features at all.
The best music was a revival of the sort of thing we saw circa 1980.
Maybe bling and all that tacky rap crap? But this stuff was hardly as prevalent as certain fashions in earlier decades.
Maybe computer graphics? Whilst the 90s had awful virtual reality as a brief fad the 00s had computer graphics wanking becoming all important in film and TV. But again, not too big a decade definer.
Easy jet and ryan air? They have changed the way we live our lives quite a bit I suppose.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The 90s- grunge, Miramax, runaway tech stocks
The oughts- mainstream hiphop, reality tv, global war on terror

As for fashion, I don't pay attention to that shit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

The rise of global terrorism is kinda defining of the 00s. Unless you are only looking at music and fashion, which is kinda limiting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Solmyr on December 24, 2009, 05:35:02 PM
The rise of global terrorism is kinda defining of the 00s.
This is what I was thinking.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2009, 05:46:35 PM
This is what I was thinking.

Odd since the US has spent a great deal fighting a war against it you'd think it should be declining. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Really? What about Munich, Lockerbie etc etc etc?

What has been defining the 00s is more a serious effort to fight global terrorism IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

90s was Britpop?

I remember Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

A handful of bible beating towelheads do not define a decade.

Sahib

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 24, 2009, 06:09:35 PM
90s was Britpop?

I remember Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails.

His post seems 100% British-centric.
The 90's definitely had it's own fashion, and cringeworthy one as well. See early seasons of Friends.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sahib on December 24, 2009, 06:47:45 PM
The 90's definitely had it's own fashion, and cringeworthy one as well. See early seasons of Friends.
There was a stretch there when *every single* girl under the age of 30 had Jennifer Aniston's hairdo.

90s to me is tech bubble, 3 button suits, and hipsterbots.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2009, 07:12:10 PM
Quote from: Sahib on December 24, 2009, 06:47:45 PM
There was a stretch there when *every single* girl under the age of 30 had Jennifer Aniston's hairdo.

To me it's period from grade 3 to my graduation or so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

The 90s was the dawn of the internet, and elementary through middle school.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2009, 04:48:52 PM
I'm watching some naff summary of the noughties
I'll tell you what the last decade wasn't, the noughties, that's for fucking sure. Friggin Englishmen <_< :x
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2009, 07:12:10 PM
Grunge, rave, britpop, girl power.  Diadora tracksuit T-shirts and poppers.  Lad and Ladette culture, with a bit of cool Britannia.  New Labour, Clinton's blow job.

Personally in terms of pop culture I remember tracksuits, Blur, Father Ted, being confused by and scared of the Spice Girls.
Let's bomb Russia!