And we're back!

Main Menu

Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones

Started by jimmy olsen, December 23, 2009, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on December 28, 2009, 10:19:21 AM
So where is the hacking going on?

Intercepting a video feed is not hacking.

Yeah, like most articles like this, it's not quite as big a story as the sensational headline (and accompanying forum poster) would have you believe.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

By definition, hacking is simply achieving unauthorized access of data, so yes it is (the manner of achieving access doesn't matter).  What it is not is cracking, which is manipulation of data inside a hacked area.

Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 28, 2009, 06:43:59 PM

By definition, hacking is simply achieving unauthorized access of data, so yes it is (the manner of achieving access doesn't matter).  What it is not is cracking, which is manipulation of data inside a hacked area.

That's not the definition I'm familiar with.  I see "hacking" as more along the lines of this: http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/computer-hacking/

By your definition, you could almost say my grandpa was a l33t hacker for having a police scanner.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

By Banana's definition anyone with an overdue library book is a hacker.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2009, 09:58:53 PM
By Banana's definition anyone with an overdue library book is a hacker.
Nope.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on December 28, 2009, 09:27:53 PM
That's not the definition I'm familiar with.  I see "hacking" as more along the lines of this: http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/computer-hacking/

By your definition, you could almost say my grandpa was a l33t hacker for having a police scanner.

It was meant to be computer data, you gits.  And I *would* consider radio data hacking.  Spooks?  HAM operators?  Pirate radio?  At least proto-hacking. :contract:
Experience bij!