And we're back!

Main Menu

Christmas Dinner

Started by Sheilbh, December 23, 2009, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: citizen k on December 24, 2009, 02:55:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 02:54:13 AM
The "Christmas wafer" thingie also seems a lot like the Passover bread, for example.

That would be its antecedent, yes.

Though it's got nothing to do with Jews in poland.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 24, 2009, 12:15:08 PM
I JUST HAD ARBYS.
:mmm:

The other day I had their pecan chicken salad sandwich.  It was alright, but the significance of it was that I've now had every single thing on Arby's menu at least once.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

So... I'm back from the family dinner. Now getting drunk on advocaat (it's like eggnog, only without milk, but made with egg yolk, sugar and brandy) and about to start watching a Harry Potter movie. :P

Tomorrow I'm going back for a roasted guineafowl. :mmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 24, 2009, 12:21:42 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 24, 2009, 12:12:43 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2009, 11:00:23 AM

Pfft, not any worse than making stuffing or a turkey. :P

Then you make some seriously intricate turkey and stuffing.  <_<

Last time I made tamales, it took several hours. Granted, I made 10 dozen, but still...

In the final analysis my wife spent 5 hours making seventeen dozen pyrogies.  We all told her she was crazy, since we're now already trying to give them away.  They freeze pretty well, but still - that's over 200 pyrogies.
"Pyrogie" is already plural. :contract:

Saying "pyrogies" is like saying "childrens".

Caliga

When I was a kid growing up we had them in Philly but spelled it "pierogis".

Mr.Penguin

Glædelig Jul to you all, yes here in Denmark do we celebrate Christmas on Dec. 24, so here is my report on a traditional danish Christmas dinner...

Pork roasts with crisp rinds.
Boiled potatoes.
Small caramelized potatoes.
Red cabbage.
and lots of brown gravy.

for dessert, "Ris a la mande", a kind of rice pudding with chopped almonds and hot cherry sauce.

all served with a nice dry red wine...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on December 24, 2009, 03:18:47 PM
When I was a kid growing up we had them in Philly but spelled it "pierogis".

That's Polish spelling (I suspect BB's spelling is Ukrainian) but the same mistake - "pierogi" is already plural (the singular is "pierog")

MadImmortalMan

I'll be doing some more grilling in the snow, but I'm not sure what yet. The grilled turkey breast with herb butter on Thanksgiving was awesome. Maybe I'll check out those BBQ guys on youtube for some inspiration.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

stjaba

Christmas Eve Dinner- Latino style:

Pork mole
Yellow Rice
Black Beans
Platanos Maduros(Sweet plantains)
Yuca

Dessert was Italian: gelato.  :D

Faeelin

Lasagna for Christmas Eve, with bacon and eggs for breakfast tomorrow then ham and the trimmings for dinner.  I feel fat.

Syt

Fondue was good. :)

@Marty: advocaat is good, but one year a neighbour of my sister's made it herself .... deee-lish. :mmm: (and very potent)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I had a slice of chocolate cake for breakfast. :mmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Always the standard turkey and all that fare. With those nice sausages wrapped in bacon and all the usual. And bad white wine.
I've never had goose (ever ever) or a 'ham' in the sense of a big pig (have had ham/pork otherwise of course) especially on christmas.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 03:38:29 PM
That's Polish spelling (I suspect BB's spelling is Ukrainian) but the same mistake - "pierogi" is already plural (the singular is "pierog")
Yeah, wasn't saying it was right, just reporting on how it was spelled/said in Philly (which has a large Polish-American population).  We do that same thing with Italian food all the time (i.e. unnecessary plural).

Caliga

Quote from: stjaba on December 24, 2009, 11:33:22 PM
Christmas Eve Dinner- Latino style:

Pork mole
Yellow Rice
Black Beans
Platanos Maduros(Sweet plantains)
Yuca

Dessert was Italian: gelato.  :D
:mmm:

Can I convert to Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican somehow?