Divine Inspiration or Divine Dictation?

Started by Phillip V, April 02, 2009, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 10:45:54 AM
Of course the religious veiwpoint is that God is very responsive to you - and that you just aren't listening.

More to the point, if this is God's way of being responsive, I dont like what he is or what he has to say. ie there is no good explanation of why, if there is a God, terrible things happen to good/innocent/(whatever similar adjective you want to use) people.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2009, 10:49:31 AM
Of course the religious veiwpoint is that God is very responsive to you - and that you just aren't listening.

More to the point, if this is God's way of being responsive, I dont like what he is or what he has to say. ie there is no good explanation of why, if there is a God, terrible things happen to good/innocent/(whatever similar adjective you want to use) people.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=why+does+god+let+good+people+suffer&meta=&aq=1&oq=why+does+God+let+go

QuoteResults 1 - 10 of about 303,000 for why does god let good people suffer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

God loves you anyway :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 11:13:58 AM

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=why+does+god+let+good+people+suffer&meta=&aq=1&oq=why+does+God+let+go

Yeah, the fact that there are so many bullshit excuses for this is great evidence that the question has no satisfying answer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 03, 2009, 11:24:36 AM
Yeah, the fact that there are so many bullshit excuses for this is great evidence that the question has no satisfying answer.

Nope it does not.  That is why the old school tribal way of thinking about religion eventually falls apart.  If your God promised you eternal victory then how come you just got your ass kicked?  If your God always favors the righteous then why is your King a total psychopath?

The cool thing about the Bible is they left in the parts where God promised things like the House of David ruling forever even after said dynasty was overthrown and destroyed just a few centuries later.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2009, 11:13:58 AM

Drop me a line when you find one that makes any sense.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2009, 11:27:09 AM

Drop me a line when you find one that makes any sense.

Geez, he found you 303,000 that do not make any sense - isn't that good enough?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

It makes sense to me that God's will could be beyond human understanding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2009, 11:34:57 AM

Yes that is one of the frequent answers that makes no sense.   A God, which if the NT is to be believed is all loving, creates a world in which evil exists with no apparent explanation.  Sorry not buying.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2009, 11:43:00 AM
Yes that is one of the frequent answers that makes no sense.   A God, which if the NT is to be believed is all loving, creates a world in which evil exists with no apparent explanation.  Sorry not buying.

Yeah I only really understand religion as something about the human experience.  It never really works for me to see it about the rain and snow and planets and so forth which sort of do their own thing.

grumbler

Which goes back to my earlier point about knowing myself better than anyone else.  If I say i am listening, and someone says that I am not, it is obvious to me who the liar is.  The religious viewpoint frequently uses dishonest arguments like that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2009, 11:43:00 AM
Yes that is one of the frequent answers that makes no sense.   A God, which if the NT is to be believed is all loving, creates a world in which evil exists with no apparent explanation.  Sorry not buying.

Perhaps "suffering" and "evil" are part of "love."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2009, 11:34:57 AM
What is funny is that people will hold this (perfectly viable) belief, and yet also think that the Bible is relevant.  Since God's will cannot be understood, a book that "explains" his will is clearly fraudulent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2009, 11:55:25 AM
What is funny is that people will hold this (perfectly viable) belief, and yet also think that the Bible is relevant.  Since God's will cannot be understood, a book that "explains" his will is clearly fraudulent.

"Relevant" in what sense?  As a catalog of God's will?  Yeah I would have to agree with you there.  The Bible really is not about God so much as it is about what people's interpretations of God are.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2009, 11:57:59 AM
"Relevant" in what sense?  As a catalog of God's will?  Yeah I would have to agree with you there.  The Bible really is not about God so much as it is about what people's interpretations of God are.
"Relevant" in that it supposedly tells you what God wants done or not done in certain circumstances.  No one can know if "god hates fags" unless his will is knowable - but it then is monstrous, since it includes allowing the innocent to suffer when he could prevent that.  If his will is unknowable, all of those who claim in the bible to know his will are frauds.

Bayraktar!